February 16, 2024

Looking Back - The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Fiction - Classic
1940
Finished on February 27, 2002
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Carson McCullers’ prodigious first novel was published to instant acclaim when she was just twenty-three. Set in a small town in the middle of the deep South, it is the story of John Singer, a lonely deaf-mute, and a disparate group of people who are drawn towards his kind, sympathetic nature. The owner of the cafĂ© where Singer eats every day, a young girl desperate to grow up, an angry drunkard, a frustrated black doctor: each pours their heart out to Singer, their silent confidant, and he in turn changes their disenchanted lives in ways they could never imagine.

My Original Thoughts (2002):

I read this with an online book group (Books on the Fence). I thought the writing was good, but not breathtaking or lyrical. I'm glad I read it, but I didn't love it. It's pretty depressing. Toward the end, all I could think is that I was glad I was almost finished and could start something more fun!

My Current Thoughts:

I don't remember much about this book other than that it was terribly bleak. It's probably one of those classics that's best read in a literature class. Underwhelming.

2 comments:

  1. I remember being underwhelmed by this classic, too... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I always have high hope for the classics that I missed reading in school, but so many are disappointments. Probably better to discuss them in a class...

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!