February 27, 2024

The Giver



The Giver by Lois Lowry
Children's Fiction - Classic
1993 Houghton Mifflin
First reading: February 6, 2002
Second reading: February 22, 2024
Original rating: 5/5 (Excellent)
New rating: 4/5 (Very good)

Publisher's Blurb:

"It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened."

Thus opens this haunting novel in which a boy inhabits a seemingly idea world; a world without conflict, poverty, unemployment, divorce, injustice, or inequality. It is a time in which family values are paramount, teenage rebellion is unheard of, and even good manners are a way of life.

December is a time of the annual Ceremony at which each twelve year old receives a life assignment determined by the Elders. Jonas watches his friend Fiona named Caretaker of the Old and his cheerful pal Asher labeled the Assistant Director of Recreation. But Jonas has been chosen for something special. When his selection leads him to an unnamed man--the man called only the Giver--he begins to sense the dark secrets that underlie the fragile perfection of his world. 

Told with deceptive simplicity, this is the provocative story of a boy who experiences something incredible and undertakes something impossible. In the telling it questions every value we have taken for granted and reexamines our most deeply held beliefs.

My Original Thoughts (2002):

I loved this thought-provoking story of a not-so-perfect world. Image a world without snow, sunshine or wind. This climate-controlled society seems like a good idea?? "In order to gain control of many things, certain things had to be let go of." "Sameness" eliminates the use of color, "real" parents, books, etc. This is a meticulously ordered community that, from first appearances, seems like a great idea. But when Jonas learns the true meaning of "release," it no longer seems like an ideal life. Ambiguous ending was ok with me.

My Current Thoughts:

I've had this book on my "keeper" shelf for more than two decades with great intentions of reading it a second time. Maybe it's time.

My Latest Thoughts (2024):

After writing my "looking back" post, I decided to follow through with my desire to re-read this book. I'd forgotten a lot of specific details pertaining to Jonas' "seemingly ideal world," but certain aspects of the tale disturbed me, both then and now. I read The Giver when I was 40 and again at 62, so my reactions are based on my life experiences as an adult. It would be interesting to hear what young readers think of Lowry's story.

I haven't read the follow-up stories, but am interested in giving Gathering Blue a read.

10 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I read this one. It's a classic, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it's a fairly quick read and definitely worth a second reading. I agree that it's a classic and added that tag to my review after reading your comment. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I proposed this for my book club, and I was surprised to see how many people enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it's a gem, isn't it? I haven't watched the movie version, but I'm tempted.

      Delete
  3. I think the Giver is such a good book. I have read the 2 follow ups and the Giver is my favorite of the 3. I remember my daughter liking this one a lot when she read it in 6th (?) grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I think my daughter read it at about the same age as your daughter. It's a remarkable story.

      Delete
  4. This book was one of my favorite parts of teaching 6th grade. It was a favorite with my students year after year, and we had terrific class discussions about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Robin. I'll bet this was a great book to discuss with your students! There is so much to think about. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you keep seeing this tale anew at different ages. I read it for the first time in 2014. And from my review I said I liked that "its cautionary tale of such a colorless society is simply and straightforwardly told, and I followed Jonas eagerly to the depths of his journey of discovery." Its spookiness stayed with me for quite a while after I read it. Lowry knew what she was doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it's definitely one that's stuck with me. Pretty disturbing.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!