March 8, 2024

Looking Back - Snow Island

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Snow Island by Katherine Towler
Fiction
2002
Finished on February 18, 2002
Rating: 2/5 (OK)

Publisher's Blurb:

What is life like for a girl coming of age in the shadow of World War II, a girl who lives on a small, isolated island populated by quahoggers and eccentrics?

This tender first novel follows the fate of sixteen-year-old Alice Daggett, who still feels the presence of her father who died six years earlier, and of George Tibbit, a reclusive loner who returns to the island each year in an excessive act of homage to the two women who raised him there.

Snow Island tells of their isolated lives and the impact that WWII has on all of their worlds. Both Alice and George find their lives linked, and changed, forever by the events that happen far from the small New England community that defines them.

Original Review (2002):

Disappointing. One-dimensional characters. Simplistic plot. Predictable. Reads like a YA romance novel. Probably won't read more by this author.

Current Thoughts:

I don't remember reading this book. Even the cover art is unfamiliar to me. I wonder what prompted me to read it. Was it an ARC? Recommended by a friend? Who knows!

6 comments:

  1. That's too bad it was disappointing way back when. The cover would have gotten me to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'm sure the cover art is what compelled me to give it a try. It was more than likely an ARC that I got when I was working at Barnes & Noble.

      Delete
  2. The cover is pretty, but I have no recollection of this book either. Don't think I read it. Not on my journal list. Yes, probably an ARC from when you were at B&N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, the lighthouse looks a little bit like the one near us (Yaquina Head). It's an attractive cover... too bad the book wasn't better.

      Delete
  3. I often wish I knew what sparked my reading of a book. I'm especially curious about books that I don't remember much about or that I did not enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I wish I had noted in my reading journal why I chose to read a book. I'm guessing this was an ARC from B&N.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!