April 29, 2024

Fairy Tale

 


Fairy Tale by Stephen King
Fiction
2022 Simon & Schuster Audio
Narrated by Seth Numrich
Finished on April 27, 2024
Rating: 2.5/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

Legendary storyteller Stephen King goes deep into the well of his imagination in this spellbinding novel about a seventeen-year-old boy who inherits the keys to a parallel world where good and evil are at war, and the stakes could not be higher—for their world or ours.

Charlie Reade looks like a regular high school kid, great at baseball and football, a decent student. But he carries a heavy load. His mom was killed in a hit-and-run accident when he was ten, and grief drove his dad to drink. Charlie learned how to take care of himself—and his dad. Then, when Charlie is seventeen, he meets Howard Bowditch, a recluse with a big dog in a big house at the top of a big hill. In the backyard is a locked shed from which strange sounds emerge, as if some creature is trying to escape. When Mr. Bowditch dies, he leaves Charlie the house, a massive amount of gold, a cassette tape telling a story that is impossible to believe, and a responsibility far too massive for a boy to shoulder.

Because within the shed is a portal to another world—one whose denizens are in peril and whose monstrous leaders may destroy their own world, and ours. In this parallel universe, where two moons race across the sky, and the grand towers of a sprawling palace pierce the clouds, there are exiled princesses and princes who suffer horrific punishments; there are dungeons; there are games in which men and women must fight each other to the death for the amusement of the “Fair One.” And there is a magic sundial that can turn back time.

A story as old as myth, and as startling and iconic as the rest of King’s work, Fairy Tale is about an ordinary guy forced into the hero’s role by circumstance, and it is both spectacularly suspenseful and satisfying.

Meh. I have usually enjoyed, if not loved most of the books I've read by Stephen King. Unfortunately, Fairy Tale was a disappointment. It had promise, and I loved the first part, which focuses on Charlie's introduction to Mr. Bowditch and Radar (Bowditch's dog). This section (roughly the first third of the book) felt like a classic King novel (young boy, old man, and a dog), and the audio production pulled me in from the opening lines. However, once Charlie entered the "other" world, I lost interest, and it took me almost two months to finish the book. I don't know if I would've maintained my enthusiasm had I listened at longer stretches, but March was super rainy, so my daily walks were pretty much nonexistent. We were also traveling for a big portion of April, so again, not much listening time. Honestly, it didn't call out to me, and I really didn't care how it was going to end. With that said, I did push through and eventually finished, but it's not a book that I can recommend... unless you love fantasy. I can see how this story would appeal to those who like that genre, but I prefer King's supernatural tales. 

13 comments:

  1. It's been quite a few years since I last read Stephen King. Sounds like I should find a different title when I decide to make a return...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I could give you a lot of good recs, but you can find them easily if you click on the tag/label for Stephen King at the bottom of my post.

      Delete
  2. While I admire King's abilities as a storyteller, I don't often read him---I never do scary, and even the hint of scary leaves me afraid for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, this one would probably scare you even though it's not a horror story.

      Delete
  3. That's where I stopped! I liked the part of the boy, old man and dog and then it took too weird a turn. For me. Have you read Billy Summers? I may have asked you that already. Loved that and 11/22/63.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I haven't read Billy Summers, but it's in my stacks on my nightstand. I loved 11/22/63, also.

      Delete
  4. I don't read horror, but loved Mr Mercedes and Billy Summer. I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I plan to read Billy Summer later this year. Haven't read Mr. Mercedes yet but will eventually.

      Delete
  5. I loved the first part as well! The rest was disappointing, although I do like fairy tale retellings usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it seems like several readers loved the first part, but were disappointed with the rest. My husband felt the same way, too.

      Delete
  6. King is so famous and so "everywhere" but I've hardly read anything by him. Horror does make me edgy, but mainly, I just don't find it that much fun to read. I'll skip this one on your say-so and because I always do skip his books.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, if you haven't read 11/22/63, that's one that isn't scary. From my blog post, "Part time-travel, part speculative fiction, 11/22/63 is not your typical Stephen King horror novel. I was able to read late into the night without ever feeling spooked, and while the characters and plot may have invaded my dreams, I was never afraid to turn out the lights and go to sleep (unlike my experience with It and The Shining)." I can recommend this one, if you ever decide to read something by King.

      Delete
  7. King is so famous and so "everywhere" but I've hardly read anything by him. Horror does make me edgy, but mainly, I just don't find it that much fun to read. I'll skip this one on your say-so and because I always do skip his books.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!