July 14, 2026

The Mother-In-Law

 


The Mother-In-Law by Sally Hepworth
Fiction
2019
Narrated by Barrie Kreinik
Finished on July 11, 2026
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Someone once told me that you have two families in your life - the one you are born into and the one you choose. Yes, you may get to choose your partner, but you don't choose your mother-in-law. The cackling mercenaries of fate determine it all.

From the moment Lucy met Diana, she was kept at arm's length. Diana is exquisitely polite, but Lucy knows, even after marrying Oliver, that they'll never have the closeness she'd been hoping for.

But who could fault Diana? She was a pillar of the community, an advocate for social justice, the matriarch of a loving family. Lucy had wanted so much to please her new mother-in-law.

That was ten years ago. Now, Diana has been found dead, leaving a suicide note. But the autopsy reveals evidence of suffocation. And everyone in the family is hiding something...

From the bestselling author of The Family Next Door comes a new page-turner about that trickiest of relationships.

Having recently read Mad Mabel, I decided to try another book by Sally Hepworth. While not quite as good as Mad Mabel, this audiobook was entertaining and it kept me guessing. Told from Lucy and Diana's perspectives, both from the past and the present, we gain insight as to why each behave the way in which they do, not only to one another but to other family members. A satisfying read!

13 comments:

  1. I thought I had read a book or two by this author, but it doesn't seem so. Will keep this one in mind. I need to go see about her backlist. Hope you have a good week! It's pouring down rain outside here. Good and also a little scary based on the flooding that happened last year in July. People are a little nervous. Hope it will pass on through and then we can get some sun again, with a lot of humidity naturally - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I've enjoyed a few of her books, so I'll keep looking for more when I need an audiobook. Glad you're getting some rain, but hope it isn't too much. I can understand the nervousness about flooding.

      Delete
  2. It's great that you liked Mad Mabel so much that you looked for another book by the same author. I haven't read anything by Sally Hepworth yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Mad Mabel was really a good audiobook! This one was also entertaining, so I'll try more by Hepworth.

      Delete
  3. Yeah glad you tried & liked this novel. This is the one Hepworth I've tried ... which I listened to in 2019. The character Diana was a bit harsh as I recall ... but had some good about her too .... a more complex character than you think at first. I think the MIL / DIL relationship is an interesting one. Here is my review at : https://www.thecuecard.com/books/july-news-reviews/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I just read your review and I agree wholeheartedly. Diana was quite harsh, but I liked the way we came to know her as the story progressed. I wound up liking her quite a bit. She became much more of a sympathetic character toward the end of the book.

      Delete
  4. I really liked The Mother-in-Law, too, but agree Mad Mabel was even better. I'm interested in trying more of her backlist, but not quite sure where to turn next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, thanks for the recommendation for this light mystery. I really enjoyed it. Wonder which Hepworth book we'll read next.

      Delete
  5. I want to look into reading another Sally Hepworth novel after really enjoying Mad Mabel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, this one might work for you. I'm definitely going to read more by Hepworth.

      Delete
  6. Glad you liked the book. I have only read her book The Good Sister and I liked that one. My mother-in-law,,,,I think she was Voldemort's sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'll have to look for The Good Sister. Sorry your mother-in-law wasn't loveable!

      Delete
    2. In fairness she wasn't lovable to my husband either!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!