August 2026
Blue Heron French Cheese Company
Tillamook, Oregon
I don't know about everyone else, but I am not ready for summer to end. Of course, it's really not over until September 22nd, so I won't break out my sweaters or plaid flannel shirts until then. We've been so lucky to have such a remarkably warm summer here on the coast. Warm to us, that is. I don't think we've hit 70 more than once or twice, but it's been very dry and we've had a lot of sunshine, so it's felt like we've actually had a summer for a change. Not sure what that means for the remainder of the year... we really need rain, but there's some in the forecast, so maybe we'll get a good soaking this week. {Edit: We got rain and there's more to come!}
Other than a 6-day camping trip, it's been a fairly quiet month. We had family visiting this past weekend, and tried out a new restaurant in town, but the rest of the month has been the usual errands and appointments. I'm wrapping up my summer reading challenge and will post about that in the next week or so. My reading has been going quite well. I finished my year-long read (The Winds of War), reread a favorite for book club, enjoyed a couple of novels by my favorite authors, and tried two new authors. My ratings were a mixed bag (there were a couple of disappointments), but none that were awful. I'm looking forward to putting together my fall reading list, still focusing on the books on my shelves. I might spend the next month reading nothing but mysteries since those have been stacking up.
Books Read (click on the title for my review):
The Gulf of Lions by Caitlin Shetterly (3/5)
The Correspondent by Virginia Evans (5/5)
The Winds of War by Herman Wouk (3/5)
The Things We Never Say by Elizabeth Strout (4/5)
More Than Enough by Anna Quindlen (4.5/5)
The Shampoo Effect by Jenny Jackson (4/5)
The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion (Vol. 1) by Beth Brower (3/5)
Movies & TV Series:
Lucky - Loved this one. Fairly violent, but Anya Taylor-Joy and Annette Bening are outstanding. Timothy Olyphant is also good, but I didn't care for his character.
Downton Abbey - Wah. I finally finished all 6 seasons of this series. I loved it, and am sad that there won't be more. However, I do plan to watch the two movies.
Fun Meme -
Trips:
We took our new camper van out for a short trip to test out everything. Had a wonderful time and LOVE our new RV! I'll put together a separate post with interior shots at a later date.
Montesano, WA
Have a safe and relaxing Labor Day weekend. We're off on another camping trip after the holiday weekend!













Tillamook - can you say cheese? Ha! I was telling someone here about Tillamook and a couple of other areas toward the Oregon coast. They were taking a trip to Portland and had asked what I might recommend they go to see. Had fun thinking about lots of mountains, waterfalls, bookstores, etc. Hope you guys have a fun on your next camping trip. Took a look again at that Thriller list and I think I've read about 60% or so of them. Of course, thrillers and mysteries are my most frequent reads. I laughed at that picture of A Private Life and my thought of 'that lady looks like Jodie Foster' and it was Jodi Foster. She's gotten a little older just like the rest of us, right? Have a nice holiday weekend!
ReplyDeleteKay, we buy a lot of Tillamook cheese, but at our local grocery store instead of at the factory. I wonder if it's available everywhere in the U.S.? I'm excited to put together a mystery reading list for the fall months. I have so many that my mom has passed on to me. They're typically quick for me, so I may get a lot read before November's Nonfiction challenge. Yep, Jodie Foster is looking a bit older, but she is older, isn't she? Glad she's aging naturally.
DeleteTillamook - yum! We can buy it in both FL and CT.
DeleteJoAnn, it's quite good, isn't it? Rod got a cup of chocolate chip mint which was divine!
DeleteFinishing Downtown is a tough one. It's such a wonderful series. I've added Exile to my watch list and it's perfect timing as I've been wondering what to take on next, so thank you!
ReplyDeleteHelen, I was really sad to finish Downton, but now I'm watching the movies, which are just as good. Hope you enjoy Exile. There are lots of shows in the pipeline for fall viewing. We're looking forward to Marble Hall Murders, and new seasons of Ludwig, The Diplomat, Slow Horses, and The Gentleman.
DeleteThat is a fun meme you created from the NYT list. I saw the list of books on Susan's site and counted out how many I had read of those. I think I have only read 16 but there are some I want to get to. Do you know I have owned a hardcopy of The Plot for over a year and it's just sitting on my bookshelf.
ReplyDeleteQuindlen is definitely going on my list of authors to read more of, I read More than Enough and loved it. My first by this author. Lucky was a great show, wasn't it? Lots of action and what a cool twist at the end.
Tina, the NYT actually created that collage of the books I've read from their list. Pretty cool. Oh, you really need to move The Plot to the top of your stacks! It's very good. The Sequel wasn't quite as good, though. Yes, Lucky was a great show. I hope there's a second season. Loved the ending!
DeleteOh, for goodness sake! I've actually read the Plot in 2023! I just looked at my review on Goodreads... all this time I thought I'd picked up the second book. So now I need to go search out the Sequel.
DeleteLucky wasn't expected to return as it was a one off production frim a novel. I could watch that again one day, even though I know the spoilers.
I could eventually watch Lucky a second time, but I need time to forget some of the plot details. ;)
DeleteI'm glad you are enjoying your new, smaller camper. It looks like you had a great time. And it was an excellent month of reading. I wonder what you are going to read in September.
ReplyDeleteDeb, thanks for letting me know this comment was from you. I wonder if previous "annonymous" comments on my other posts were you, too. Yes, we're really enjoying a smaller RV. Heading out tomorrow for 11 days down the coast. The weather is supposed to be perfect!
DeleteOops! That anonymous comment was me.
ReplyDeleteGood recap. I'm listening to The Shampoo Effect now ... it has some funny descriptions but I'm not far enough in yet to see if it's anything more. We probably should watch A Private Life for Jodie. You seem to like your camper van a whole lot more than the RV ... what do you like more about it? the driving? Or the insides? thx Robert might look at one someday.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Susan. I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on The Shampoo Effect. Yes, we like the van for a variety of reasons, but mainly that it's easier to drive than the big 26' Class C motorhome. The van is only about 20 1/2 feet. We definitely downsized and will miss some of the living area (large dinnette, as well as a couch), but we're already getting used to the smaller space and it will work just fine. We like that it feels more like camping since we spend more time outside! The refrigerator is half the size, but still has a large enough freezer for my prepared dinners. (We're more able to unhook and go to the store -- and explore -- if we need to run into town for groceries.) We also like the idea of not worrying about a slide out (which is where are bed was in the motorhome) or the rubber membrane roof, which is prone to leaking. The cabinets are lovely and latch which the ones in the motorhome didn't. And, the gas mileage is double in the van! Need I continue? I think you and Robert would really enjoy having one. Interior photos coming soon!
DeleteI spent some time with the NYT list of thrillers, too, and thought there were quite a few that I was surprised to see labeled as thrillers. I've only read 13 from the list, but don't consider it a favorite genre.
ReplyDeleteThe new van sounds like a big success! It must be so much easier to maneuver than the big RV. I probably mentioned that we had friends visit us in FL with their van and I was impressed by how much they could fit in and how organized it all seemed. They really love it!
Lots of good reading in August, too. Emma M. Lion does get better as it goes along. The second book was still just okay for me, I liked the third book a lot more, and loved the fourth!
JoAnn, we're out camping in the van again and loving it. We spend a lot more time outside, so it feels more like camping. Thankfully, the weather hasn't been too cold or rainy. Just one day of rain, but the van is quite cozy. Yes, I'm amazed that I can fit so much inside, too. Plenty of space for clothes and food, as well as a few books, my yoga mat, and one set of dumbbells. :)
Delete