September 20, 2026

The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion (Volume 2)

 


The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion (Volume 2) by Beth Brower
Fiction
2019
Finished on September 3, 2026
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

“I was sitting at my desk reading, with a cup of tea, my windows flung open, when I heard The Tenant enter his garret, just on the other side of the wall from myself.”

The Year is 1883 and Emma M. Lion has returned to her London neighborhood of St. Crispian’s. But Emma’s plans for a charmed and studious life are sabotaged by her eccentric Cousin Archibald, her formidable Aunt Eugenia, and the slightly odd denizens of St. Crispian’s.

Emma M. Lion offers up her Unselected Journals, however self-incriminating they may be, which comprise a series of novella-length volumes. Armed with wit and a sideways amusement, Emma documents the curious realities of her life at Lapis Lazuli House.

I was pleased to see a list of characters at the beginning of this second installment of Emma Lion's journals. The first volume introduces an extensive cast of characters which made it somewhat challenging for this reader to keep track of all the relationships. I enjoyed volume two quite a bit better than the first, and I'm eager to reader more of this charming series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!