.

.

February 22, 2007

A Stranger's House




A Stranger's House by Bret Lott
Contemporary Fiction
Quit on 2/17/07
Rating: DNF
2007 TBR Challenge (incomplete)






Book Description

For a long time, Claire and Tom Templeton have wished in vain for a child. What they have instead is a house, a charming old Cape that is their consolation. In the gray chill of a Massachusetts autumn, the Templetons and two local handymen, loners and eccentrics, work to rebuild the ramshackle home. As the house takes on a new life, Claire begins to understand its tangled history -- and to reconcile her own past and renew her hope for the future.


I really have nothing to say about this book. I didn't even make it to my 50-page cut off requirement, quitting after 42 pages. There is something very bleak and sinister about this novel. I enjoyed Jewel several years ago, but this book is heading off to the used book store. I think the evil rabbit was the final straw for this reader. Shudder.

6 comments:

  1. Evil rabbit? Oh, weird. What happened to the Thursday 13? I just remembered I forgot to ask in the post below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame. I really liked Jewel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy - The main character works in a lab where they use rabbits for testing. I didn't get too far but the description of one event with a rabbit was too disturbing for even me.

    I guess Thursday Thirteen was retired. It really doesn't bother me since I never linked to the actual site. I just like the idea behind it and will continue as long as I come up with ideas!

    Bybee - Yah, me too. I have another in my stacks by Lott that I'll try later this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't be reading this one... Evil rabbit?! I actually didn't like Jewel either. Hope you find a good book that you can finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read Jewel (and have no inclination to) but this one is sitting in my TBR stacks. Perhaps one of these days I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iliana - I did eventually settle in to a good book so things are looking up again. Phew!

    Lesley - I don't know how much I would enjoy Jewel now. I read it several years ago and quite honestly feel my reading taste has matured a bit since then. I only have a vague sense of the plot at this point now.

    As always, I'll be interested in your thoughts on A Stranger's House if you ever get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!