February 22, 2007
Pulitzer Prize Winners
Several months ago I came across a list of the Pulitzer Prize winners and was shocked that I'd read so many of the winning novels. As luck would have it, I've read exactly 13 from the list.
1. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (1921) - Loved it
2. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (1932) - Loved it
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (1940) - Loved it
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1961) - Loved it
5. The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty (1973) - Ho-hum
6. The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1983) - Very good
7. Beloved by Toni Morrison (1988) - Very good
8. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley (1992) - Quite good
9. The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields (1995) - OK
10. The Hours by Michael Cunningham (1999) - Loved it
11. Empire Falls by Richard Russo (2002) - Very good
12. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (2003) - Loved it (review to follow)
13. Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (1949) - (drama category) - OK
Anyone care to make any predictions for this year's winner (in fiction)?
From the official Pulitzer Prize website:
2007 Pulitzer Prizewinners and Nominated Finalists will be announced on Monday, April 16, 2007 at 3:00 p.m. Eastern daylight time. The announcement will be posted online at 3:15 p.m. Finalists are not announced in advance.