July 31, 2009

Favorite Quote Friday


I've decided to start a new weekly post, sharing some of my favorite passages here with you. I have dozens and dozens jotted down in various book journals — I could easily post two or three a week, but I think I'll stick to one at a time.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. (The Catcher in the Rye)



I read this in June of 2001. Here's the brief "review" I wrote in my journal:

I never read this in high school (or college) and decided it was high time I did. Thank goodness it was a fairly brief story. I thought it was terribly dull! Perhaps I missed the underlying themes, but even a follow-up read of the Cliffs Notes left me wondering what all the hype was about. Rating: C+ (4/10) OK, but don't recommend.

4 comments:

  1. I think Catcher in the Rye is one you love or hate. There doesn't seem to be any in-between. I loved it, even though I didn't read it till I was in my 20's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:26 PM

    I love Holden Caulfield. In fact, I think he or J.D. Salinger are our friends. I still admire how you wrote what you thought about what you've read. I am now following your example by writing the book's title, publisher, number of pages, rating, purpose for reading (i.e. challenge, prize winner, etc.) but i don't give my thoughts. Hmmm, maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan at all! But the quote is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy - I didn't hate it, but I sure didn't think it was very good. Lots of teenage angst. Just not my thing.

    Bellezza - I wanted to love Holden Caulfield, but I couldn't. He annoyed the heck out of me! :)

    Nan - There. We agree on another book. :) Glad you enjoyed the quote.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!