September 11, 2012

R.I.P. VII


It's been several years since I participated in Carl's R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril (aka RIP) challenge. I was dumbstruck when I saw the first posts about this year's challenge. Has it really been 7 years since this all began? Really? Bravo, Carl!! And thanks for the nudge to join in on all the fun, even at this late date.



Knowing full well that I tend to make huge lists and fail miserably, I'm going to aim for a more reasonable goal here. Two books. Yep. Just two. The first is quite a chunkster, but I'm listening to it on audio, so maybe it will go quickly. It's certainly got my attention and I'm constantly looking for an excuse to listen.


The second will be for Heather and Andi's readalong, which I hope to start as soon as I finish The Passage. I'm already late to the party for that discussion, but I still want to read it.




Looking back, I see that I only participated in two RIP challenges. I'm not sure how that happened, as this is such a great chance to read some creepy books. One of my favorites selections, Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box, was discovered during the RIP II (five years ago!). And then there was The Brief History of the Dead, back in 2008 for the RIP III. I'm not very far into The Passage, but I already have a strong feeling that my choices for this year's event will become favorites, as well.

And now to publish this post before I decide to search for more books in my stacks to add to my list. Books like Something Wicked This Way Comes byRay Bradbury or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (both of which were of both lists for my previous challenges!).

17 comments:

  1. Good for you, Les! I've seen a thousand people rave over The Passage but I know that scary books are not for me. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't care for scary books, do not read The Passage! It's very creepy and I've only just now finished Part One. I know it will continue to scare the BLEEP out of me!

      Delete
  2. Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Kathy! I may not read a lot of books, but I think the two I do read will be on my Top Ten List for 2012.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like so much fun!! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed it in previous years, so I'm excited to be participating again. Now to carve out more time to read/listen to the books I've selected...

      Delete
  4. Well, I think the two books you chose are big enough that they ought to count as four. Oh, and if you do decide to expand that list, Something Wicked This Way Comes is so delightful (in a deliciously creepy way, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like your way of thinking. They are rather large, aren't they? I've only just finished Part One in The Passage and that would be page 212 in the printed format. There are 766 pages in all. I'll be lucky if I finish before Halloween! I may have to save The Little Stranger and Something Wicket This Way Comes for RIP VIII.

      Delete
  5. Yay, so happy you are back!!! Even with the nudge. :) I hope you can join us for The Little Stranger. I am enjoying the book very much to this point. And I agree with Debi, everyone should get double points for chunksters!!!

    And of course I love popping over here and see the big red N, despite the Huskers' frustrating loss last weekend. I'm really over Taylor Martinez, personally and wish we could get past his era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to be back, too! I'm hoping to join in on the discussion for The Little Stranger, but I'm probably underestimating how long it will take to finish The Passage. As I mentioned to Debi, I'm only on page 212 (out of 766). It's very compelling and I'm constantly trying to find time to read/listen more, but it is one HUGE book!

      Huskers made up for last weekend with yesterday's win over Arkansas State. Martinez is playing much better than he did last year, but our defense is still a bit weak.

      Delete
    2. Yesterday was better, but I'm still looking forward to his tenure as QB being over.

      Delete
    3. ;) Is there anyone on the roster that you look forward to seeing in 2013?

      Delete
    4. Not really. I just don't think we've had outstanding QB's since the days of Frazier and then Frost. They've been good, don't get me wrong, but not good enough.

      Delete
    5. Agreed. We moved to Lincoln in '92 and 1994 & 1995 were thrilling years for the Huskers.

      Delete
    6. Yes, those were the days!!! Hopefully we'll return to them again.

      Delete
  6. I think I have The Passage in iTunes, but the length keeps me at bay. I'm still interested in reading The History of the Dead. Waters has been on my TBR list forever! I wish I could read faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let the length discourage you, Joy! It's a fantastic book and the reader is outstanding.

      I wish I could read faster, too. And respond to blogs and comments more quickly, as well.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!