March 5, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


This past week I finished two books. The first was Force of Nature by Jane Harper, which I really enjoyed and am almost sorry I got to it so quickly. It's going to be a long wait for the third installment in this new series! I also read The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning, which I'm sorry I bothered with. I didn't care for the author's casual conversational tone and I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. I don't know why I kept reading it when I knew early on that it wasn't for me. Maybe because it's such a slim book, I figured I might as well finish it. 



did give up on the audio book of My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante, as it simply wasn't appealing to me. After listening for a few hours, I knew I didn't want to invest over 12 hours of listening time to it. So now I've started listening to Kristen Hannah's latest novel, The Great Alone. So far, so good!



I'm still reading (and enjoying) The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery and I should be able to finish it before my book club meets. It's such an interesting book, but I find that I want to intersperse some fiction reading between chapters about the various octopuses Montgomery discusses. I'm really sorry I won't be in town when the author speaks at the PAC (the Newport Performing Arts Center). I'm sure it will be a fascinating lecture!



In addition to reading The Soul of an Octopus, I've picked up This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel. I only started it last night, but I have a feeling this is going to be on my Top Ten list for 2018. I haven't read anything by Frankel, but I love her writing, which reminds me of that of Anna Quindlen and Marissa de los Santos. Great storytelling!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? (#IMWAYR) is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It’s a place to meet up and share what you have been, are, and about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organize yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment, and er… add to that ever-growing TBR pile! This meme started with J Kaye’s Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at Book Date.

Last Week's Posts: 


The Meaning of Names by Karen Shoemaker

Wordless Wednesday - Web

Looking Back - The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather

Olympic Peninsula Trip - Port Townsend (Part 3)

6 comments:

  1. Sharon9:48 AM

    I finished Murder in Bloomsbury by D.M. Quincy this past week. This is the second mystery in the series and I enjoy them. The main character, Atlas Catesby is a jigsaw puzzle enthusiast :) Now I am reading The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'll have to look for these books, since I'm a jigsaw puzzle fan, too! Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. I've read several book blog reviews of This is How it Is and everyone liked this book a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I can't put the book down! I usually only read at night and last night it was almost midnight and I was wide awake and thoroughly enjoying Frankel's storytelling. This Is How It Always Is may be my favorite book of the year. You know it's a good book when you start looking forward to reading the author's backlist.

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things about This Is How It Is. Hope it works well for you - I might actually own it - need to look. And glad you put down the book that wasn't working for you or rather 'listening' for you. Not sure how I'd feel about the octopus book. Probably not for me. I do have a copy of Kristin Hannah's book to read at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm loving This Is How It Always Is. I couldn't stop reading last night and had to force myself to put the book down at midnight! The octopus book is surprisingly good. I was skeptical at first, but I'm enjoying the anecdotes and the author is a very good writer. I've learned a lot about these creatures, but I'm not sure I would ever want to touch one. ;)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!