March 26, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


It was a slow week for reading, as I've been busy preparing for our three-week-long road trip to Northern California. I've also been trying to get caught up on my travel posts and I've just about finished with our Olympic Peninsula trip, which we took last fall. At this rate, you probably won't see any posts for our upcoming trip until Christmastime!


In spite of all the preparations, I did manage to finish one book last week, but it was a dud. I'll share more about it in my review, but suffice it to say that the only book that I have really cared for by Ian McEwan is Atonement. I've read several others of his and none have impressed me in the least. I thought On Chesil Beach would be worthwhile, especially with the movie coming out this year, but the only thing it had going for it was its page count. Had it been any longer, I would have pitched it against the wall and moved on to something else. 


When I did finish, I eagerly picked up a library copy of The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. WOW! If I weren't so distracted with the travel plans, I could have easily curled up with this psychological thriller and read it from cover to cover in a single day. I love this sort of mystery/thriller and I can even overlook the overdone "main character who drinks at least two bottles of wine a day, plus self-medicates with a variety of pills, and may or may not be a reliable narrator," as we've seen in so many of these books since Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. I need to hurry up and finish the book so I can get it back to the library before we leave, although I found out the other day that my local library does not charge overdue fines! They do have a small box for "guilty donations," but there is no charge to keep a book past its due date. Amazing.

What about you? Are you reading anything wonderful?
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? (#IMWAYR) is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It’s a place to meet up and share what you have been, are, and about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organize yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment, and er… add to that ever-growing TBR pile! This meme started with J Kaye’s Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at Book Date.

Last Week's Posts:


Wordless Wednesday - Lunch with a Blogmate!

Olympic Peninsula Trip - Dosewallips State Park

Escape Travels 2017 (ongoing links - also found at the top of my side bar)

Looking Back - Joy School by Elizabeth Berg

The Fortunate Ones by Ellen Umansky

10 comments:

  1. I struggle with McEwan's writing so I've pretty much given up on his books. The Woman in the Window is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I doubt I'll read anymore by McEwan. If I do, it will be a re-read of Atonement. The Woman in the Window was outstanding!! I think I held my breath during the last couple of chapters.

      Delete
  2. Too bad about On Chesil Beach. I enjoyed that one and will probably give it a quick reread before seeing the movie. Ian McEwan seems to be a polarizing author - people either love him or hate him.

    I borrowed The Woman in the Window from the library, but by the time it was due I'd only managed to read 120 pages (all that company!). Need to get back on the list. I've never heard of a library that doesn't charge overdue fines. Wonder if they actually raise more money from the guilty conscience angle ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think McEwan is a one-hit wonder in my book. I loved Atonement (it was my #1 read the year I read it), but everything else has fallen short. I wouldn't say that I hate him, but he's been a disappointment (or his books have) for many years.

      I thought The Woman in the Window was a fantastic psychological thriller. Loved every second of it! I hope you get a chance to get back to it. You may be right about making money off the guilty conscience donation book at the library. :)

      Hope you're having a good week and that the weather is nice at the beach. We're in Northern California and it's sunny and warm. Bordering on hot! I love it! Off to ride bikes in a little bit.

      Delete
  3. Sharon1:35 PM

    I finished Summer Hours at the Robber's Library by Sue Halpern. It was different but I liked it. I am more than halfway through Where the Wild Cherries Grow by Laura Madeleine and am enjoying it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, sounds like you're reading a few winners!

      Delete
  4. Ha! I love the fact that the library doesn't charge fines. You know, I found that libraries in Oregon were really different from what I was used to here in Texas. Different funding and then there's the whole idea that people have the rain to deal with. Lots of indoor entertainment in OR. Will be happy to hear what you think about TWITW and hope you two have a great trip! I know I owe you an email. Maybe later this week - that's the plan anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I remember the libraries in Texas and their odd hours (at least in Fort Worth). The Lincoln (NE) libraries were very nice, but they did charge fines for overdue items. This one in Newport is quite lovely (I should do a post since I took some pictures a while back) and I get a lot of reserved items from Tillamook and other nearby cities. As far as The Woman in the Window... LOVED it!! What a great psychological thriller. I figured out a few things fairly early, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment. I'll be anxious for the author to write another book quickly! We're having a great trip, so far. Gorgeous weather here in Garberville/Benbow, CA. It may hit 78 this afternoon! I'm sitting outside at the picnic table, enjoying the sunshine. Time to put on some sunscreen, though. No rush on the email. I'll be happy to hear from you whenever you get the chance.

      Delete
  5. We agree on McEwan! I read Saturday and liked parts of it, but no interest in any others. And frankly, I can't read a book with an unreliable narrator. Makes me way uneasy. Funny, eh wot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, we do! :) Although I loved Atonement and I don't think you've read it. I'm pretty much done with McEwan now. One hit wonder in my book.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!