September 1, 2018

A Month in Summary - August 2018

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
August 2018

It's probably time to quit talking about how quickly the months pass. Life is busy and the days really do fly by, but do I really need to mention it every month?? We had a full month of visitors and a short road trip, as well as preparing for our upcoming adventure. I'm surprised I managed to finish two books. Yes, only two but they were both very good, so no complaints from me!

Books Read in August:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Crime on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #1) by Joy Ellis

First Lines:

Dear Sidney,

Susan Scott is a wonder. We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, but much more thrilling from my standpoint was the food. Susan managed to procure ration coupons for icing sugar and real eggs for the meringue. If all her literary luncheons are going to achieve these heights, I won't mind touring about the country. Do you suppose that a lavish bonus could spur her on to butter? Let's try it -- you may deduct the money from my royalties. (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society)

A night wind blew along the narrow alleyway, bringing with it the smell of ozone and red diesel. Nikki Galena leaned back against the rough brickwork of the derelict warehouse and wondered how many other women of thirty-six would feel quite so comfortable in such unpleasant surroundings. The backstreets that skirted the docks were no place for a lone female at any time of day, but after midnight they were a definite no-go area. Nikki smiled in the darkness. Right now there was nowhere else she'd rather be. (Crime on the Fens)

Movies & TV Series:



The Bridge (Season Three)There are so many characters in this new season and each new episode involves at least one murder. Somehow, all of the murders are related, but I could never figure the connection. Detectives Saga and Henrik didn't have much luck either. It took five or six episodes to get fully engrossed in Season Three, but we finished and are now anxious for Season Four.



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I finished reading the book (for the second time) just a few hours before watching the Netflix production of the same. As expected, the book was much better and I wish I waited a few months before watching the movie. So much of the story had been changed, not to mention the omission of two major characters. I'm not sorry I watched the film, but I am sorry I watched it so soon after finishing the novel.



Ready Player One - I loved this book on audio and thought the movie was also very good. It's been long enough since I listened to the book that I didn't notice a lot of the changes and omissions. There were a few, but not too many. Two thumbs up!

Outings & Trips:

We took our granddaughter up to one of our favorite campgrounds on the Oregon coast. My mom came along with us and stayed in a cute little motel in Manzanita, which was close enough for us to drive over and get her during the day so she could enjoy the campsite, too. It was a fun three-day trip!


 Relaxing before dinner.


 A smoky sunset.


 Hypnotized by the campfire.



She's a natural!

Visitors:



Our good friends, Sarah & Bert, came for a few days, so we took them to a couple of our favorite wineries in the Willamette Valley.





Mark & Ana (my brother and sister-in-law) came up for a few days while our granddaughter was visiting. We had fun cooking together and just hanging out. 




Shaylyn! Our sweet granddaughter is now 16 years old and she spent a little over a week with us this year. She is such a joy to be around and the time went by far too quickly. I have so many pictures that I want to share from her visit, but I think I'll wait and use them in a separate post.

Labor Day is just around the corner, which means summer is almost over. We are heading out on our great adventure next week and will be gone for two months! We're excited and a little bit nervous. We've never traveled for as long or as far as we're planning. Next month's summary may not have much in the way of books or movies, but I'm sure I'll have a lot of photos to share from all the places we visit.

Have a safe & fun Labor Day Weekend!

Click on images for larger view.

8 comments:

  1. Such lovely pics; I'm glad u had such a nice visit with your granddaughter. Hard to believe she is 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane. I can't believe she's 16 either!

      Delete
  2. Your granddaughter is gorgeous and looks like happiness radiates from her. I know you hated to see her go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. She is a happy girl! We adore her and yes, we were very sorry to see her go. This was the shortest summer visit, but we were thankful she was able to come. She leads a very busy life!

      Delete
  3. These pictures say it all! You all look so happy... I'd say it's been an excellent month.

    Good luck on your next great adventure. Will you be changing sites every few day or are there places you plan to spend longer periods of time? Two months is a long time... how exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it was a wonderful month!!

      The main purpose of our trip is to visit our good friends in Texas, so we won't dawdle too much on our way down. We try to be at our campsites by 3pm, so we only manage to get about 200 (or less) miles in each day. We have a lot of one-night stops, but we plan to spend a few at Crater Lake, the Grand Canyon, Sedonna, and a few other state parks. We'll be with our friends for 4 nights and then with other friends and relatives between 2-4 nights as we make our way back to Oregon. I'll probably abuse Instagram & Facebook with all my photos. ;)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful visit, full of memory makers! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, it was a marvelous month of visitors and travels. Life is good!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!