January 22, 2019

2018 Year End Survey and Top Ten List


I may not have read a lot in the way of quantity, but the quality of my reading this past year was pretty good. There were several months in which I only read one or two books (if any), especially during the months when we were traveling. I read quite a few from my stacks, but didn't read a single e-book! Maybe that will be my focus when we're out on the road this year.

Here are the stats:

Total Books Read: 37

Print Books: 28

Audio Books: 9

Ebooks: 0

From My Stacks: 15

Female Authors: 28

Male Authors: 9

New-to-Me Authors: 17

Fiction: 26

Nonfiction: 11

Classics: 1

Sci-Fi: 0

Mystery/Thrillers: 8

Essays: 3

Memoirs/Biographies: 2

Epistolary: 0

Childrens: 0

Young Adult: 1

Re-read: 6

Ratings:

5.0   stars: 3
4.75 stars: 2
4.5   stars: 7
4.0   stars: 15
3.0   stars: 7
2.0   stars: 2
1.0   star:  1

Top Ten:

This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel 

Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan 

Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Dear Fahrenheit 451 by Annie Spence

The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne 

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Fin 

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles 

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate 

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult 


Honorable Mentions:

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles 

News of the World by Paulette Jiles 

Morningstar by Ann Hood 

The Dry by Jane Harper 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett

Force of Nature by Jane Harper

The Soul of An Octopus by Sy Montgomery

Every Note Played by Lisa Genova

I'll Be Your Blue Sky by Lisa Genova

The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Crime on the Fens by Joy Ellis

Birdbaths and Paper Cranes by Sharon Randall

Shadow Over the Fens by Joy Ellis

The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict

To Dance with the White Dog by Terry Kay


Click here to see all the books I read in 2018. I've included links to all my 2018 reviews, as well. 

19 comments:

  1. I've read quite a few books that made your list. I don't read many e-books and can't figure out why they don't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I can't explain why I don't care for ebooks, either. I have used my Nook to read a few, but more often than not, I use it as a tablet to watch travel blogs on Youtube while I walk on the treadmill. If I ever read all the books in my TBR stacks, maybe I'll make the leap over to ebooks.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you read the Guernsey book! Isn't it just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I reread before watching the movie (which was good, but not as good as the book). I first read it in 2008 (reviewed here.

      Delete
  3. And I have almost totally switched to e-books. Not completely, but mostly. I have so many books in print. I gave a bunch of them away to the library book sale and then gradually built them up again. However, I think I have some on my Kindle and I'm pretty sure I can get almost all from the library. I need to reduce my stash again because they are just sitting there, not getting read. Oh, and then I also do close to 50% as audiobooks. With the e-books, I can read anywhere and if the book is long, it doesn't matter. I have the font bigger and so that's not an issue. However, I think that we each have to decide what we like. I do not read on my phone or my iPad - don't like the shiny screen.

    You read a great number of books, Les. And some of the them I've read and some I want to. Wish you could join our mystery group in March when we read THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW. Also, I'll read and discuss NEWS OF THE WORLD with my afternoon book group in February. I'm looking forward to that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, my nook screen is shiny like a tablet, so maybe that's part of the reason I'm not a big fan of ebooks. Maybe someday I'll get a Kindle...

    Oh, I wish I could join your mystery group in March. I'm sure you'll have a great discussion! Such a good thriller! Your other book group will probably have a good chat about News of the World, as well. My group sure did like it. So did Rod!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m putting a number of those on my TBR list. Joy Ellis’s books look good! I love my e-reader because I can adjust the font size. It really helps at this stage of life with its eye changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I think you'll enjoy Ellis's books, especially now that you're reading the Elly Griffith's series. Ellis's may be a bit better, I think.

      So far my bifocals are helping me with reading small print, but that may not always be the case, so I'm glad there are ebooks in my future. :)

      Delete
  6. I've read and loved quite a few of these, and added several more to my wish list. Like Kay, I've also switched to mostly ebooks... for all of the reasons she mentioned. I love my kindle and often take advantage of its sync feature with audiobooks. I can switch between reading and listening while each device holds my place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, once I jump on the ebook bandwagon, I know I'll appreciate the sync feature with audiobooks. There have been many occasions in which I would have liked to have been able to read a passage that I had just listened to on one of my audiobooks. Especially a passage that I'd like to quote in a book review.

      Delete
  7. I appreciate so much your book reviews and your lists of favorites! You give me so many good ideas. I'm currently reading The Other Einstein, thanks to you.
    I never thought I would like reading on a Kindle, but since we've been traveling, it has become my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I so appreciate your enthusiasm for my reviews. I'm glad I've been able to enable you with additions to your TBR list. :) Hope you're enjoying The Other Einstein. I thought it was very good, although it made me quite angry at times. I'm sure the Kindle is a great method for reading while on the road. I know, if we ever decide to travel in our RV full-time, the books will have to go and I'll come to accept ebooks. I still might have to store my favorite books somewhere... :)

      Delete
    2. To be clear, I mean the books will have to go away. Not go with us! :)

      Delete
  8. The only time I read e-books is if I am somewhere and don't have a book. lol I read them on my phone. Otherwise, they just never clicked with me. I have better luck with audios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I know the feeling. They just haven't clicked with me, as print or audio books have. Maybe someday. Hope you are well. So nice to see a comment from you!

      Delete
  9. You definitely had a good reading year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. January is starting off pretty well, too, at least with regard to quantity.

      Delete
  10. You made a great dent in your stacks. I need to get much better about that. Even if the quantity wasn't as great the fact that you read a lot of really good totally makes that a good reading year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm not doing too well with my own stacks so far in 2019, but I'll get back to them once I get caught up on all the library holds that keep coming in. I am seeing some gaps on my shelves, though, which is kind of a good feeling.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!