January 23, 2019

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer



And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman
Fiction
2016 Atria Books
Finished on January 16, 2019
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Grandpa and Noah are sitting on a bench in a square that keeps getting smaller every day. The square is strange but also familiar, full of the sweet scent of the hyacinths that Grandma loved to grow in her garden.

As they wait together, they tell jokes and discuss their shared love of mathematics. Grandpa recalls what it was like to fall in love with his wife--and what it was like to lose her. She's as real to him now as the first day he met her, but he dreads the day when he won't remember her.

This peculiar space that is growing dimmer and more confusing all the time is where they will learn to say good-bye, the scent of hyacinths in the air, nothing to fear.

Fredrik Backman has rendered an exquisitely moving portrait of an elderly man's struggle to hold onto his most precious memories and his family's efforts to care for him even as they must find a way to let go.

This little book with a big message is sure to be treasured for generations to come.

It's been over four years since I first read A Man Called Ove. I loved that novel, but haven't gotten around to reading anything else by Backman's until this week when I spotted this slim book on the shelf at the library. Unlike many of my friends who have read the novella, I didn't fall in love with the story, nor did I shed any tears when I was finished. It's a tender tale about an older man dealing with Alzheimer's and I was just as confused as he, spending too much time trying to sort out whose point of view was being shared. At times it was obviously Grandpa's, but there were other moments when I wasn't sure if I was reading about Noah (the grandson) or Noah's father Ted (as a young boy). I may have to read it again.

10 comments:

  1. Not at all the subject matter this grandmother wants to read about! I love how you said that you were as confused as the character. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, nope. Not your type of book! Glad I made you chuckle, though. :)

      Delete
  2. If it confused you, I think I can safely skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm sure that was the point, but I don't like to be confused! I think it's safe to say you can skip this one.

      Delete
  3. I listened to A Man Called Ove and enjoyed it. Also listened to Beartown and enjoyed it as well. I should probably look at a print version of Backman's writing to see what I think of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I have Beartown on my shelf (in print) and hope to get to it sometime this year. Glad to know you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. I think I’ll skip this one. I’m confused enough as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, it was confusing and sad. :(

      Delete
  5. I absolutely loved A Man Called Ove and have been wanting to read more of Backman's books. I'll cross this one off my list, though. Have you read any other of his novels? He's prolific! I'm on the waiting list for a couple at our library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't Laurel. I have Beartown and My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry (that's a mouthful, isn't it?!) on my shelf, but haven't made the time to read either one. Soon!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!