January 29, 2019

Gallup, El Morro, & Albuquerque, NM

Friday, September 21, 2018
Gallup to Albuquerque, New Mexico (via El Morro)
Distance: 244 miles
Enchanted Trails RV Park
Duration: 2 nights
Cost: $18.09 per night
Weather: Warm and sunny

We were not at all sad to leave the USA RV Park. There is nothing remarkable about the amenities or surroundings, and the noise from the trains and low-flying planes (directly over the park in the early morning hours) make for a restless night. Needless to say, we were up early!


USA RV Park


Gravel sites with no shade for those parked near the front of the park. Alternating site approaches means your coach door opens toward your neighbor's coach door - and your picnic tables are on the same side. Why?? Looking for the positive, this has to be one of the most level sites we've encountered. I don't think we even used leveling blocks, which may be a first.

We drove through Gallup, but didn't see anything tourist-worthy to stop for, so we continued on down the road, heading south. (Highway 564 south to 602 to 53 east to 122/Route 66 to 279) We took a side trip to El Morro National Monument, where we enjoyed our lunch and took a 1/2-mile walk on the Inscription Trail. It's a nice, easy trail where you can see the ancient markings, as well as inscriptions from the 1800s.






Nice visitor's center with very helpful rangers. 


Didn't see a single snake or, 
for that matter, very many people.






Inscription Trail


The wildflowers were gorgeous!


A fence railing prevented us from getting too close,
 but I was able to zoom in on the markings.


Amazing that people were able to etch their names, 
dates and other information with such beautiful handwriting!

Just a few of the 2,000-plus carvings at El Morro.

After lunch, I hiked to the top of the rocks and did the 2-mile Mesa Top Trail. The view was amazing and with nobody else on the trail, my hike felt even more inspiring. It was almost as if I was the last person on the planet!


Eventually, I would be on the top of those rocks!




I kept a watchful eye out for snakes hiding in the shade!




Can you see the volcano in the distance?

I came across the ruins of the Atsinna, which were occupied by the ancestors of the Zuni people from approximately 1275 to 1400.












Believe it or not, this is the trail!


Created by the Civilian Conservation Corps,
 these steps made for easier climbing.


Approximately 200 feet above the valley floor, 
I can see where our RV is parked beyond the Visitor Center.

In addition to the stairways, the Civilian Conservation
Corps carved trail markings in the sandstone.


It was incredible to walk these paths without the distraction of others around me. Other than an occasional jet far overhead, it was completely silent.






The rock formation on the left reminds 
me of the ancient stone heads of Easter Island.









We enjoyed our stop at El Morro and while it's a little off the beaten path, it's well worth a visit.

It was beginning to get late in the afternoon and time to hit the road to Albuquerque. We drove most of the way on Route 66 until it abruptly disappeared, forcing us to jump back on I-40. I'd rather poke along at my own pace, rather than push the RV to go 60-65 with the semis flying past me at 75, so I was happy we were able to drive some of that distance on the old highway.


Absolutely gorgeous, wide open space.
 I don't think we're in Nevada anymore!

This is why I love road trips!


Route 66 with I-40 just beyond those rock formations.



After stopping for gas in Grants (a sad, depressed-looking town), we made it safe and sound to our next RV park, just west of Albuquerque. Our site was fairly level and there were a few more trees than at our previous location, which helped make it feel a little less stark. 


It was a long day and we arrived
 just in time to see a gorgeous sunset.


Click on images for larger view.

Previous Posts:




Discovering Soshone Point (Grand Canyon)

12 comments:

  1. "We drove through Gallup, but didn't see anything tourist-worthy to stop for..."

    LOL! Our thought, too... though we did have a good dinner at The Badlands Grill. The views on your hike were spectacular, but my knees would have balked at all the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it's kind of sad how some of those Route 66 towns are barely surviving on tourism, especially since there isn't much to see anymore. I'll have to remember The Badlands Grill, if we're ever in that area again. As far as the stairs at El Morro, they really weren't too bad. Maybe they just look steeper than they were. Or maybe the fear of snakes kept me moving quickly! :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice. As I recall, we've only driven through that area once. We were coming down from Colorado and decided to cross NM instead of crossing southern CO. Unhappily, we had a car disaster and tire problem that pretty awful. We had to stop in Albuquerque for hours and hours while it was solved. We decided not to go that way again if we went to western Colorado. Ha!

    Loved those pictures. Beautiful, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, good thing you were close to Albuquerque to get the car taken care. There are a lot of wide open spaces and I would hate to get stuck out in the boonies waiting for a tow-truck or someone to help out. Thanks for your nice words about the pictures. As always, it was impossible to narrow them down any further. I think I deleted well-over two or three dozen from that one day!

      Delete
  3. We've never been to El Morro, but it looks like an interesting stop from your photos and description! Like you, we enjoy traveling on roads where we can take our time and enjoy the scenery along the way. Traveling in a herd of tractor trailers is so stressful! It's nice to get away from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I wish it were possible to do all of our traveling without ever getting on another Interstate, but sometimes it's just not feasible. Here's to back roads and lonesome highways. :)

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful countryside! I think that area near Albuquerque is Tony Hillerman country! Have you read his books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. I thought it was gorgeous, too. No, I haven't read any of Hillerman's books, but I am familiar with them. Might have to give them a try someday.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this is so impressive. How long did it take you to walk through the trail? It seems like it would take forever. I love the inscriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm not sure how long it took me to hike the trail. Maybe an hour or so?

      Delete
  6. Great pics! That rocky trail though? Not sure I'd make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy. You know, that trail wasn't really very difficult. However, if you have a fear of heights, it might not be the best place to hike. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!