February 8, 2019

Looking Back - Paper Wings

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Paper Wings by Marly Swick
Fiction
1997 Harper Perennial
Finished in March 1998
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Everyone in Suzanne's family acknowledges her mothers instability, yet no one has any idea why she suffers these bouts of depression. They simply accept them as fact and enjoy the moments when she emerges from them, buoyant and energetic. With Kennedy's election, presidency and assassination as background, Suzanne tells the story of the dissolution, and ultimate redemption, of her family. Sure to appeal to readers of Barbara Kingsolver, Alice Hoffman and Mona Simpson, Paper Wings is a subtle and moving novel about a mother and daughter who struggle, hope, and learn from each other how to emerge from shadows of tragedy.

My Original Notes (1998):

Pretty good. At first I thought it was too simplistic, with a lot of trite details, but I got caught up in the story and really enjoyed it. It was fun to read about specific details of Lincoln (Swick teaches at UNL) and I wonder how much, if any, of the material is autobiographical.

My Current Thoughts:

I don't own a copy of this novel and I have no recollection of the characters or plot.

5 comments:

  1. I'm fairly certain I read this one, probably at the same time. Did we read it with that online group? I remember nothing at all. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, we might have, but I honestly don't remember!

      Delete
  2. So many mothers suffered from depression when I was a little girl. It must have been such a closed-off life, living in the suburbs, without family around, in the sixties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this is a book I've heard of but I do love that cover. Looks so full of happiness doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it is a great cover, isn't it?

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!