February 9, 2019

Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef

I recently discovered this recipe on Taste and Tell and have a feeling it will become a favorite not only to have at home, but also to freeze and pack for our RV road trips. I'm slowly adding recipes to my Instant Pot file and this one is not only super easy and delicious, but the meat is incredibly tender and easy to shred with two forks. Very impressive! Tacos anyone?


Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef
(Taste and Tell)

Ingredients

2 pound chuck roast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 cup beef broth
2-4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 bay leaves

Cut the roast into 4-6 large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat.

Press Saute on the Instant Pot and add half of the roast chunks. Brown completely on each side. Remove to a plate and brown the second half of the meat. Remove from the Instant Pot.

With the Instant Pot still on Saute, add the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and cook an additional minute. Pour in the broth, chipotle chiles, lime juice, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Stir to combine, then add the roast back into the Instant Pot.

Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock. Select High Pressure and 60 minutes.

When the pot beeps, allow the pressure to naturally release. Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid and, using a set of tongs, remove the meat from the Instant Pot to a cutting board. Use 2 forks to shred the beef. Once shredded, return to the Instant Pot and stir to coat the meat in the leftover juices.

The meat will be very wet once you stir it back into the cooking liquid. If you don’t want this, you can skip the last step and just serve it after you have shredded it. I like to use tongs to remove the beef from the liquid, allowing some of the excess broth to drip off. I love the extra flavor and moisture the liquid brings.

Serves six

My Notes:

In an effort to keep this somewhat mild, I skipped the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. The seasonings were enough to flavor the meat. Delicious!

Shoulder roast is leaner, so there is less fat to trim and the juice isn't greasy.

Perfect for tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, bowls or machaca. This is going to be a great item to cook ahead of time and freeze for our road trips in the RV!




Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

10 comments:

  1. I can see why you skipped the chiles -- using a can of them was one of the only reasons why I've ever thrown away an entire dish of food! so hot!

    best
    mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I wouldn't mind using a little bit of the chiles (or even some of the sauce), but then I'd wind up throwing the rest out, which is wasteful. It's really not necessary for the flavor since we almost always have some sort of hot sauce or salsa for our tacos anyway.

      Delete
  2. I'd be using the chipotles -- we love the heat! I think I know what's going on this week's shopping list. :))) I'd likely serve this over rice or maybe for soft tacos. Also like the idea of freezing the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this one sounds appealing to you, Candace. I'm going to make it this week, too.

      Delete
  3. Oh just checked out the Taste and Tell blog. Thanks! Great site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, she's got some great recipes!

      Delete
  4. I don't have an Instant Pot but my daughter loves hers. She especially loves it for hard boiled eggs as the shells don't stick to the egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I use ours for hard boiled eggs, too. Quick and easy!

      Delete
  5. I've never been a fan of barbacoa but my dad used to love it. Every time we'd go visit our family in Mexico the first thing they would tell my dad is that they had this ready for him to enjoy for breakfast. So glad you found a delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I like it if it's not too spicy. Kind of like machaca. I would love to see some of your favorite Instant Pot recipes sometime.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!