February 11, 2019

Albuquerque, NM

Saturday, September 22, 2018
Enchanted Trails RV Park
Albuquerque, New Mexico

We love our non-travel days! Back-to-back days on the road don't give us much of a chance to relax and enjoy our time at a campground or RV park. A non-travel day allows us to sleep late, enjoy our morning coffee, catch up on laundry, pick up some groceries (and maybe a DVD at Redbox) and, if time permits, do a little exploring. In a perfect world, we would stay at most of our sites for at least 3 or 4 nights, but with several destinations scheduled for this particular trip, we don't always have that luxury. Today we did.

Enchanted Trails RV Park has a large, clean laundry room, so I was able to get a couple of loads washed before we headed out to run our errands. Albuquerque is a very large city, with two major freeway systems (I-40 and I-25) and very busy surface streets. Remember, we used to live in Lincoln, Nebraska and rarely had to get on the interstate. We now live on the Oregon coast and rarely get on any freeways, unless we have to travel in and about Portland. This country mouse isn't as comfortable on freeways as she once used to be in San Diego and especially not in a 26 foot RV. So, suffice it to say our "quick" trip to the grocery store was somewhat terrifying, especially when we had to merge on I-25 from I-40. Surface streets are the way to go!

After our errands, we headed to Old Town and found a large parking lot with plenty of space for the RV. Always on the lookout for a good Mexican restaurant, we were happy to find Church Street Cafe, which had come recommended by my dad and stepmom. We had a delicious lunch and would definitely go back, if ever in the area again.


Church Street Cafe














Sopapillas!









It was a long day and we were anxious to get back to the RV park and relax for a while before watching our movie. We took a walk around the park and checked out the vintage trailers (and cars), which are available to rent.



























With our Passport America discount, we paid $18 per night, which is quite a bargain. The RV park isn't fancy, but it has a clean pool, laundry, showers and full hookups. There was a lot of road noise from I-40, but with the windows closed and our fan running, it's was just white noise. This was our first visit to Albuquerque and I'd love to go back and spend more time exploring the area.

12 comments:

  1. What cool cars and trailers! Bet you had fun looking at those. Also looked like some good Mexican food. We'll get to that area again at some point I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, we thought the cars and trailers were very cool! If we didn't already have an RV to sleep in, we would've loved to have rented one of those trailers. Yep, very good Mexican food!

      Delete
  2. Those vintage trailers and cars are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very pretty. But I don't think I could do the highways and traffic. Even in our little state, they are too busy and full of crazy drivers. Not comfortable being on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I'm thankful that we don't have to travel on the larger highways and interstates very often. It would really put me off of this kind of travel if we did!

      Delete
  4. We spent the month in Florida as you know, primarily so my husband could get the sun that he needs for his psoriatic arthritis when he could get away from work in Illinois. But, the sun in January is not to be depended upon, and interestingly enough, my parents were telling how much they love Albequerque. I, too, love the Southwest (having a special place in my heart for Arizona). I don’t remember New Mexico much, but isn’t there are a Georgia O’Keefe museum there as well? Your pictures and descriptions totally entice me; I am so happy you are there to enjoy it to the fullest. And, lucky you that Rod will watch films with you. If it doesn’t have a clicker/remote, my husband wants no part of it. 😳☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, I wish we were in New Mexico (or anywhere in the Southwest) right now. This post is from our trip last fall! We are still in Oregon where it is rainy, windy and cold! We even had snow earlier this week, but it didn't stick. I hope we get back to the Southwest someday again, but this year's adventures will probably take us to Idaho and Montana. Yes, there's an O'Keefe museum in Santa Fe and a home & studio in Abiquiu. We spent a little time in the SF museum when we were there in 2013, but have not yet been to Abiquiu. As far as movies, Rod and I both love dramas, scifi, comedies and action hero (Marvel) films, but I'm on my own if it's a romantic comedy or anything with Hugh Grant. ;)

      Delete
  5. Non travel days are the reason we travel, LOL!! The longer we travel, the longer we want to stay places. As you said, 3-4 days (or longer in really interesting places) feels just right.
    Oh, how I love that area of New Mexico—especially Santa Fe and Taos. We haven't given Albuquerque enough time, but it's on the list. Great shots of the vintage trailers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I'm hoping we get a lot of non-travel days in this year! I think we'll spend the spring and early summer months focusing on Oregon and Washington, so we won't have to drive quite as far, which will allow longer stays. Those vintage trailers were beautiful! I imagine they're nicely done on the inside, as well.

      Delete
  6. I recognize some of this pics - especially the Santa Fe ones - love that town, as well as Old Town in Albuquerque. I used to work for a healthcare company headquartered in Albuquerque and visited many many times. Even went to the fabulous 2000 Balloon Fiesta. I do miss all those trips over a 6 year period.

    I do love traveling with you through these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I can see how you might have thought some of the pictures were from Santa Fe (lots of turquoise paint!), but we were only in Albuquerque this time. I would love to go to the Balloon Fiesta someday! I know it's very popular with RVers and there are places we could camp and ride our bikes into the Fiesta grounds. Might have to think about doing that in a couple of years! Thanks for tagging along on our trips via these posts. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!