March 16, 2019

Instant Pot BBQ Ribs

When I first learned to cook ribs, I used a recipe (probably from an old Sunset Magazine cookbook) that said to start them off in the oven in a 9x13 pan with a little bit of water and covered with foil to seal in the moisture. Many years later, I switched to a crockpot, which has been my go-to method without fail. However, the other day I came upon a recipe on Taste and Tell that requires an Instant Pot, so I decided to do a taste-test comparison using both the crockpot and the Instant Pot. I cooked one rack of ribs in the crockpot as I usually do for 8 hours and the other rack in the Instant Pot for 35 minutes (not including the time it takes to build up and release the pressure). Not only did the Instant Pot save me 7 hours of time (and electricity), but the meat was fall-off-the-bone tender! Another Instant Pot winner thanks to Taste and Tell's super easy recipe.


Instant Pot Ribs

1 rack baby back ribs (about 4 lbs.)
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided

Rub:

2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper

In a small bowl, mix the salt, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne pepper.

Cut the ribs into four equal portions. Rub both sides of the ribs with the spice mixture.

Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Pour the water, vinegar and soy sauce in the bottom of the pot and place the ribs on top of the trivet, stacking them up in a teepee shape. You don't want them lying on top of each other.

Lock the lid in place and make sure the vent is closed. Select Manual High pressure and set the time to 35 minutes. When the time is up, naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.

While the ribs are cooking, line a baking sheet with foil. When the ribs are finished cooking, turn the oven broiler on high. Place the cooked ribs on the baking sheet and brush with 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce. Broil the ribs 4-6 inches from the heat until a crust has formed. Watch closely, as this doesn't take long!

Serve with the remaining barbecue sauce.


Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

10 comments:

  1. We're the one family without an Instant Pot but we don't cook much these days. If I tell Carl about this recipe, I'll bet he'll be tempted to buy an IP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm slowly testing out recipes for the IP and am quite pleased with the end results. If Carl winds up buying one, be sure to come back and click on the Instant Pot tag for more recipes for him.

      Delete
  2. Both methods sound good, but making ribs always seems to me to be a lot of trouble and cleanup for something that's available from barbecue places rather easily. I'm not a lazy cook, but this is a bit much.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we don't have a lot of BBQ restaurants nearby, plus this is a very easy (just rub the spices on the ribs and pop them in the pot with the braising liquid) and affordable alternative to eating out. I bought the ribs, which fed three of us, on sale for $8. Can't beat that! :)

      Delete
  3. I keep hearing about how awesome ribs cooked in the IP are. I *must* try. We'd likely finish them on the grill (we grill all year round).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candice, I was very impressed and am eager try them again, this time without the rub since I usually don't use it with my other recipe. Rod likes to finish his on the grill in order to get them nice and burnt. I prefer to keep my edible, so I use the broiler! ;)

      Delete
  4. I can feel my resistance to an instant pot reducing. Cheers fromm Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I've become a big fan, but only have a few tried-and-true recipes, so far.

      Delete
  5. Yes... what Carole said! I'm starting to think I *might* need an Instant Pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I was quite resistant to it at the beginning, but I'm becoming a big fan, especially for future RV road trips!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!