June 28, 2019

Looking Back - Your Oasis on Flame Lake

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




Your Oasis on Flame Lake by Lorna Landvik
Fiction
1998 Ballantine Books
Finished in August 1998
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:


Best friends fast approaching forty in the small Minnesota town of Flame Lake, Devera and BiDi were recently voted "Least Changed" at their twentieth high school reunion- a label neither one finds very appealing. For each craves a change in her life: Devera desires a break from her humdrum marital routine; BiDi longs to reconnect with her distant fourteen-year-old daughter (the only girl on the high school hockey team), not to mention jump-start a sex drive stuck in neutral. So when Devera's husband decides to fulfill his longtime dream of opening a nightclub in his basement, Your Oasis on Flame Lake arrives not a moment too soon. Nothing fancy, it is just a BYOB joint where you can hang out, sing, dance, tell jokes, and be yourself. But then an unexpected crisis throws both families into chaos, forcing them all to take stock of their lives and learn the power of forgiveness.


My Original Notes (1998):

This is a great book! Even better than Patty Jane's House of Curl. Wonderful characters. It reminded me a little bit of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Funny and sad. I'll certainly read her next book!

My Current Thoughts:

I'm surprised that I have no memory of this novel, in spite of my high rating. I don't own a copy of the book anymore, but it might be fun to listen to it on audio especially since the author is the reader.

4 comments:

  1. I remember reading this one and liking it. I don't remember much about the story. The cover has certainly changed - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I don't remember what the original cover looked like and Goodreads doesn't seem to have one that's familiar. I certainly don't remember those legs! :)

      Delete
  2. If this reminded you of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, I'm going to read it! I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I loved DSotYYS, too. I wish I could remember more about this book, though. I may have to seek it out at the library and see if I still feel the same about it after 20 years!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!