August 9, 2019

Looking Back - Where the Heart Is

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
Fiction
1995 Warner Books
Read in December 1998
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

With a warm and utterly honest voice right out of Steinbeck's Oklahoma and Fannie Flagg's green tomato South, Billie Letts has spun an irresistible story that won the Walker Percy Award and goes on to win every reader's heart.

Talk about unlucky sevens. An hour ago, seventeen-year-old, seven months pregnant Novalee Nation was heading for California with her boyfriend. Now she finds herself stranded at a Wal-Mart in Sequoyah, Oklahoma, with just $7.77 in change. But Novalee is about to discover hidden treasures in this small Southwest town--a group of down-to-earth, deeply caring people willing to help a homeless, jobless girl living secretly in a Wal-Mart. From Bible-thumping blue-haired Sister Thelma Husband to eccentric librarian Forney Hull who loves Novalee more than she loves herself, they are about to take her--and you, too--on a moving, funny, and unforgettable journey to . . . Where the Heart Is.


My Original Notes (1998):

Grabbed me from the first page! Very good. Almost lyrical. I love the way Novalee's story unfolds, as she blossoms into womanhood. Probably a lot of symbolism, if one were to look closely. I like the way Novalee overcomes the tragedies in her life, becoming strong, intelligent and independent, yet still willing to love.

My Current Thoughts:

I still have a copy of this book and after flipping through the pages, I know it's one I want to read again. It looks like it will be a quick read, so I'm throwing it in my pile for our upcoming two-month road trip! 

6 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I know I watched the movie, but don't remember if I enjoyed it as much as the book. Did you see it? I think Natalie Portman played Novalee.

      Delete
  2. I also loved this book. I've read it twice and I'd read it again. As you can tell, I have a habit of rereading favorite books—I feel like I'm coming back to visit with a good friend. I thought the movie was well done, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I always say I'm going to reread a book, but all the new ones call out to me and push those oldies to the bottom of my stacks. Maybe (ha!) once I read all the books in my TBR stacks, I'll finally start rereading some of these old favorites. I've only had three rereads this year and I was really hoping to get one in each month. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. I remember really enjoying this book. Such a sweet story. I remember watching the movie too. Of course can't remember much of either now but wouldn't mind reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it is a sweet story, isn't it? Time for a reread and another viewing of the movie!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!