February 2, 2020

A Month in Summary - January 2020

Tidal Raves Restaurant
Depoe Bay, Oregon
January 2020



January was another great month of reading. I listened to one audiobook, reread an old favorite and borrowed four books from the library. Of the six books I finished, four were outstanding. Next month, I hope to read more from my stacks, but we'll see how that goes since I already have three library books on my nightstand. It doesn't help that my TBR list is growing by leaps and bounds thanks to the new podcasts I recently discovered. But had I not listened, I might not have discovered Two Girls Down, which was one of my favorite reads this month. Between the podcasts and binging on This Is Us, my audiobook numbers may drop in 2020, but it's all good. I'm enjoying all types of media. 

Books Read (click on the title for my review):

The River by Peter Heller (4.5/5)

The Only Plane In the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff (5/5)

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (5/5)

The Girls by Emma Cline (2/5)

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata (1/5)

Two Girls Down by Louisa Luna (4.5/5)

First Lines:

They had been smelling smoke for two days. (The River)

Nearly every American above a certain age remembers precisely where they were on September 11, 2001. What began as an ordinary day became the deadliest terrorist attack in world history and the deadliest attack on the United States since Pearl Harbor, shocking and terrifying the global community, exposing us to unimaginable tragedy and evil, while also reminding us of the strength, bravery, and power of the human spirit. Heroes quite literally emerged from the ashes, and the hours and decisions that followed defined not just a generation but our modern era. (The Only Plane In the Sky - Author's Note)

I have been afraid of putting air in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbine's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign. I'm not lying. He got stuck up there. About nineteen people congregated during the time it took for Norman Strick to walk up to the Courthouse and blow the whistle for the volunteer fire department. They eventually did come with the ladder and haul him down, and he wasn't dead but lost his hearing and in many other ways was never the same afterward. They said he overfilled the tire. (The Bean Trees)

I looked up because of the laughter, and kept looking because of the girls. (The Girls)

A convenience store is a world of sound. From the tinkle of the door chime to the voices of TV celebrities advertising new products over the in-store cable network, to the calls of the store workers, the beeps of the bar code scanner, the rustle of customers picking up items and placing them in baskets, and the clacking of heels walking around the store. It all blends into the convenience store sound that ceaselessly caresses my eardrums. (Convenience Store Woman)

Jamie Brandt was not a bad mother. Later she would tell that to anyone who would listen: police, reporters, lawyers, her parents, her boyfriend, her dealer, the new bartender with the knuckle tattoos at Schultz's, the investigator from California and her partner, and her own reflection in the bathroom mirror, right before cracking her forehead on the sink's edge and passing out from the cocktail of pain, grief, and fear. (Two Girls Down)

Podcasts:



What Should I Read Next (Anne Bogel) - I don't know who mentioned this podcast, but I am so grateful. I love it and my Goodreads TBR has exploded with all the recommendations.



He Read She Read - Another great podcast for book lovers!

Movies & TV Shows:



Ken Burns' Country Music - I enjoyed the last few episodes in this miniseries, but the first two were a little dull. I started listening to country music in the late 80s. The Judds, Dan Seals, Randy Travis, Dwight Yokum, Garth Brooks, Tricia Yearwood, Rodney Crowell, Roseanne Cash, George Strait, Vince Gill, Kathy Mattea, Keith Whitley, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Reba McEntire, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Emmylou Harris and, of course, Kris Kristofferson were among my favorites.



The Mule - Entertaining, but somewhat sappy.



This Is Us (Season 1) - Finally jumping on the bandwagon with this series. My husband gave up after the fourth episode, but I'm hooked in spite of the fact that it's a little sappy. The writing is good, though, and I love the non-linear time line. Very creative!



State of Play - Entertaining and a wonderful cast. 

Puzzlemania:





















How was your first month of the new decade?

16 comments:

  1. What great looking puzzles. We bought a 1,000 piece one on Cape Cod this past summer and have yet to begin it. My excuse is that the cats will scatter the pieces...LOL

    I put Two Girls Down on hold at the library after you mentioned it earlier....sounds good. We really like The Mule, although I don't agree with Clint Eastwood's politics, he's an amazing actor. I loved the similarities between The Mule and Grand Torino -- an old man on the outs with his family, which seems to be how his life has gone. We've been watching This is Us since the beginning, and although I like it, it can be confusing occasionally with many characters, new ones that come and go and the back and forth in time plot line. My husband often asks a million questions as he's looking at his phone while trying to keep up LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, we just finished another 1000 piece puzzle and are about to begin another. It's perfect for our rainy afternoons. I can imagine how difficult it is too keep the kitties away from those tempting puzzle pieces. :)

      I hope you enjoy Two Girls Down. I'm anxious to get to the next book in the series, but for now I'm back in Three Pines as I read another Louise Penny mystery.

      We don't agree with Eastwood's politics either, but the movie was quite good. I am just about finished with the first season of This Is Us. I'm addicted to this show! Too funny about your husband's questions.

      Delete
  2. I haven't gotten into podcasts but my husband listens to a number of them on a regular basis - of course, none of his are about books.

    I enjoyed The Mule - did you know it's based on a true story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm really enjoying the podcasts, but have to remember to make time for my audiobooks, too. Yes, I knew The Mule was based on a true story. Pretty wild!

      Delete
  3. I keep thinking I am going to listen to podcasts, and I enjoy every podcast I hear, but I haven't gotten into a consistent schedule of listening yet.

    Your reading was all over the place, wasn't it? Some you loved and some you didn't. I will have to look for Two Girls Down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I try to listen to the podcasts when a new one is released and am slowly making my way through the archives, but it's a slow process as one has over 200 episodes! Still, I'm enjoying them as I putter around the house. Yep, my reading definitely had some winners and losers. Guess that's bound to happen if I don't toss the mediocre ones aside unfinished.

      Delete
  4. Podcasts have seriously cut into my audiobook time, too, but I've gotten some wonderful book recommendations. Glad you had such a good reading month... I ended up spending so much time on the Trollope chunkster that I only finished two books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I'm trying not to let the podcasts take over all of my listening time, but it's easy to do when they are so interesting and informative. I think the Trollope book should count for at least four books! ;)

      Delete
  5. Glad you have enjoyed the podcasts. They certainly will add to your TBR or they have to mine. Ha! And I love the shot from Tidal Raves! Also love that restaurant. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, the podcasts are wonderful. I found another called Midlife Mixtape. So far, I've enjoyed it, but it's not entirely devoted to books. Yep, Tidal Raves is a favorite of ours, too. We tend to go in the off season since it's so crowded in the summer!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to try the podcasts! I've only begun listening to them recently, and I've enjoyed learning while hand stitching. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I hope you enjoy the podcasts. Be prepared for a lot of additions to your TBR list. :)

      Delete
  7. I rarely listen to podcasts but I think you are really tempting me to finally check out some of these. I love seeing all of the puzzles you guys work on. I am not sure if I've seen that movie, State of Play, but it's got actors I like so I may need to check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, these two podcasts are my favorites. I've dipped into a few others, but I keep returning to these, working my way through the archives. My mom and I do all the puzzles, as it's not my husband's thing at all! :) I like working on them while I listen to an audio (book or podcast) and have my glass of wine. Very relaxing. State of Play was a decent movie. I'm surprised we didn't watch it when it first came out on dvd, but it must have slipped under our radar.

      Delete
  8. What fantastic puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, we really enjoy the wooden puzzles. Now we're back to the traditional cardboard (1 1500 piece!), which are fine, but not quite as fun. I love the whimsical shapes of the wood puzzles.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!