February 4, 2020

The Dearly Beloved



The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall
Fiction
2019 Simon & Schuster
Finished on February 1, 2020
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Charles and Lily, James and Nan. They meet in Greenwich Village in 1963 when Charles and James are jointly hired to steward the historic Third Presbyterian Church through turbulent times. Their personal differences however, threaten to tear them apart.

Charles is destined to succeed his father as an esteemed professor of history at Harvard, until an unorthodox lecture about faith leads him to ministry. How then, can he fall in love with Lily—fiercely intellectual, elegantly stern—after she tells him with certainty that she will never believe in God? And yet, how can he not?


James, the youngest son in a hardscrabble Chicago family, spent much of his youth angry at his alcoholic father and avoiding his anxious mother. Nan grew up in Mississippi, the devout and beloved daughter of a minister and a debutante. James's escape from his desperate circumstances leads him to Nan and, despite his skepticism of hope in all its forms, her gentle, constant faith changes the course of his life.


The Dearly Beloved follows these two couples through decades of love and friendship, jealousy and understanding, forgiveness and commitment. Against the backdrop of turbulent changes facing the city and the church’s congregation, these four forge improbable paths through their evolving relationships, each struggling with uncertainty, heartbreak, and joy. It's a poignant meditation on faith and reason, marriage and children, and the ways we find meaning in our lives.


It took me quite a while to become interested in this character-driven novel, but once I had a firm grip on each of the four individuals and their relationships with one another, I began to better enjoy the story. And yet, I never came to care about any of the characters and one in particular was very disagreeable and easy to dislike. I felt the book's ending was much stronger than the first half, but overall it wasn't anything special.


Always a sucker for passages about books and libraries, I especially liked this particular paragraph:
It was there, in late May 1954, that Charles sat in the library reading a book about Catherine of Aragon. He loved the library, its mahogany shelves that climbed to the ceiling, its bounty of lush pages majestically restrained. He loved it especially on days like this, when it was empty, steeped in quiet, electric with promise, as if the books were breathing, alive as big dogs sleeping at the foot of his bed. He reveled in that particular stillness, in which he felt as if he could, at any minute, turn a page and recognize everything there was in the world to know.
A year from now, I will probably only have a vague memory of this debut novel, but in spite of my overall reaction, I think it would be a good book club choice, as there is quite a bit to discuss about faith, marriage, and family.

14 comments:

  1. I generally favor plot driven novels but this character driven novel struck a chord with me. I just loved it. Sorry it didn't affect you the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I did enjoy parts of it, but it didn't wow me. I'm glad you loved it, though. Every book deserves a fan club, don't you think? I certainly couldn't write a book and I can only imagine the time, effort and love that an author puts into their writing. I think Cara Wall has promise and I look forward to reading her next novel.

      Delete
  2. Sharon8:54 AM

    I am glad I wasn't the only one to feel this way about this book. I thought it was good but like you, not memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I think it's just one of those books. It had great potential, but something was lacking. I do look forward to the author's next book. I think she has promise.

      Delete
  3. I usually enjoy character-driven novels. I struggled to keep all the characters straight here (considered DNFing at one point) but eventually they all fell into place. None of the characters seemed especially likable or evoked much sympathy, but I became engrossed in their collective story and found it quite memorable.

    Have you read Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner? That's one of my favorite novels and I've seen this compared to it. It's still not anywhere near as good, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, after reading a few chapters I had to grab an index card and take some notes about the four main characters; I couldn't keep them straight, either! I did become engrossed in the overall story by the halfway point, but it's still not one that I loved. I have not read Crossing to Safety, but my mom loves Stegner so I should probably give it a try.

      Delete
    2. I've read quite a few of Stegner's novels and they've all been excellent. Most have a western flavor, but not Crossing to Safety. You should try one of his books!

      Delete
    3. JoAnn, which would you recommend I begin with?

      Delete
    4. Les - Angle of Repose, probably Stegner's most famous novel, won a Pulitzer in the 70s and is very good. I also loved the audio version of The Big Rock Candy Mountain. That one is supposedly his most autobiographical novel. My favorite is Crossing to Safety. There are plot similarities with Dearly Beloved, but I think the characters are more likable. Its focus is academia rather than the church. It has been ages since I read it, but I recently got an audio copy so that may be my reread!

      Delete
    5. Thanks so much, JoAnn! I will probably begin with Crossing to Safety since it seems to be a favorite with so many readers.

      Delete
  4. I wasn't blown away by this one as I hoped I would be based on other reviews. I think I rated it the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I really went back and forth on my rating. It probably deserves a 3.5, but it wasn't as good as a lot of my 4-star reads.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like such a good story too so it's a bit of a bummer that it's not as great as you were expecting. I have seen this one talked about quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was still a decent read. A 3-star rating is still "good." Just not great. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!