March 23, 2020

The Peace of Wild Things



The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

~Wendell Berry

8 comments:

  1. How very, very beautiful, Les! Love it! Love the picture! Love the poem! Peace - just the thing we all need right now. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. Another travel blogger/friend shared it on her blog and I had to borrow her idea. So timely and such a lovely poem. Big hugs to you, too!

      Delete
  2. I put this up - I was going to say a couple years ago, until I checked and it was 13 years ago! And you commented! Amazing. It's the part about children that always gets me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, isn't it amazing how we can think something happened only a few years ago only to discover it's been over a decade?!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you find this poem comforting and inspirational, too. It's one of my favorites and has carried me through some difficult times, including now. Stay well, dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I've seen this poem before, but seeing it on your blog was a lovely reminder of WB's timely words. Be well.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Just the kind of post I needed today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope you are doing ok. I am so far behind with my blog-hopping. Maybe today...

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!