April 3, 2020

Looking Back - How Close We Come

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




How Close We Come by Susan S. Kelly
Fiction
1998 Warner Books
Read in July 1999
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Pril Henderson and Ruth Campbell have been best friends and next-door neighbors for a decade. They share their most intimate thoughts and wishes, their private hopes and dreams. Even their children are best friends. So when Ruth goes on vacation with her children and never returns, Pril is hurt, confused, and lonely. And when Ruth's husband names Pril as his witness in custody proceedings, she faces one of the most wrenching decisions of her life: Does she testify against her dearest friend? Or does she stand behind the woman who has inexplicably shattered her family? With lyricism, warmth, and uncanny perception, this novel explores what binds women to one another, how close we come to really knowing another, and why we hurt the ones we love the most.

My Original Thoughts (1999):

I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, light read, reminiscent of the works of Elizabeth Berg, Kaye Gibbons and Beth Gutcheon.

My Current Thoughts:

1999 must have been my year to read a lot of novels about women's friendships. I'm not inspired to give it a second reading, in spite of the high rating. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't recall hearing about this one but I kind of am intrigued. I do like women's friendship type books and especially during these times I might enjoy them more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I don't even know how I found this book, all those years ago. Maybe it came as a recommendation from an online group.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!