April 4, 2020

A Month in Summary - March 2020

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
March 2020


We are living in strange times, my friends. As I sit here composing this post, our world is facing one of the scariest times in our history. Over 1 million people (worldwide) have been infected with COVID-19. The United States has over 200,000 infected citizens. Obviously, those numbers don't included the presumptive positive cases, which have not been reported to the CDC, as well as those who are sick but haven't been tested. The majority of individual states have implemented legal orders for citizens to stay at home/shelter in place, while a remaining few continue to hold onto their belief that social distancing is adequate. Reading all of your updates on your blogs, Facebook, Instagram and private emails, I know that I am not alone in my reading slump. I can focus on nonfiction, but novels require too much concentration. I am fortunate to live in a beautiful community and am able to get outside and walk along the ocean and in the forest, listening to podcasts and audiobooks, all of which provides me with much needed distraction from the news and updates. We cancelled our upcoming 2-month road trip (we were to leave yesterday) for obvious reasons, but I hope to continue to blog about our 2019 fall road trip, sharing some photos from the beautiful places we've visited. I've also added a "Monthly Summaries" link in my sidebar, after receiving a few questions about previously mentioned puzzles and movies. In addition to working on several puzzles this month, we have started playing some fun games. Rod's not a big fan of games, but he's a good sport, especially if we play during cocktail hour. 

Alright. Back to books and reading. There were a couple of winners and a couple that were entertaining, but not outstanding.

Books Read (click on the title for my review):

The Janes by Louisa Luna (4/5)

Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore (4/5)

This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger (3/5)

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle (3/5)

First Lines:

Meet our girl: seventeen, arrived here a year ago from a rough and dusty town in Chiapas, considered pretty by most standards because she is young, her face unmarked by scars or wrinkles, her body boasting the tender snap of fresh muscle. Our girl's brain, on the other hand, is at war with itself and others: with memories of her mother's worry and her father's pain, subtle with her own simmering meditations on sex and violence, with fear of all the men that come through the door with their eyes so stark and full of want it's like they've eaten her up before they've even selected her from underneath the butcher's glass. (The Janes)

Oona stopped trusting the mirror years ago. After all, it only told a sliver of the story.

This isn't me. I am not this woman. (Oona Out of Order)

In the beginning, after he labored over the heavens and the earth, the light and the dark, the land and sea and all living things that dwell therein, after he created man and woman and before he rested, I believe God gave us one final gift. Lest we forget the divine source of all that beauty, he gave us stories. (This Tender Land)

Twenty-five. That's the number I count to every morning before I even open my eyes. It's a meditative calming technique that helps your brain with memory, focus, and attention, but the real reason I do it is because that's how long it takes my boyfriend, David, to get out of bed next to me and flip the coffee maker on, and for me to smell the beans. (In Five Years)

Movies & TV Series:


Shetland - It didn't take long to get hooked on this show. We binged on the entire series and finished in a little over a week. Thank goodness for subtitles!



This Is Us - Season 2 & 3 - Season 2 had so many heartbreaking scenes. It's sappy, but I still love it.



Prime Suspect - Love Helen Mirren! A bit dated (1991) and gritty, but pretty good.


Annhilation - Blech

Puzzlemania:






Games:


We are also spending a lot of time keeping in touch with our family and friends via FaceTime and Zoom. Thank goodness for technology!



I hope this finds all of you safe and healthy. Be well and stay home!


14 comments:

  1. We are in one of the few states that hasn't issued a stay at home order and it angers me. We're staying at home but many others are not. I sure do miss seeing my friends, though.

    I thought this would be reader's paradise but, like everyone else, I'm having trouble focusing on books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you in South Carolina, Kathy? I would be angry, too! Like you, I miss seeing all my friends, but am so grateful for Zoom and Facetime. It's made such a difference to actually get together for coffee or drinks, even though it's a virtual gathering.

      I'm hoping to carve an hour out of each afternoon and start reading at that time since my bedtime reading has suffered. I read a page or two and call it quits.

      Delete
  2. I, like most of us, am having trouble reading. I've been able (who knows why?) to read children's books set in the distant past where lives, even among the most affluent, were much worse than our lives today. I've ordered a puzzle today in the hopes that we can settle in to one together. We are walking every day and working in our gardens, but it's terrible feeling our isolation and our worries for others.

    Oona looks good. I've gotten on the waiting list for it at the e-library. It looks like it may be weeks before it arrives for me. In the meantime, I guess I'll read some more children's books.

    Stay safe and well, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm glad you are at least able to focus on children's books. Maybe I should reread the Anne of Green Gables series. I reread the first one last year (or was it longer than that?) and enjoyed it as much as when I read it as a young girl. Once our weather gets a little bit warmer, I'll be out in the yard, pulling ivy and doing some general clean-up. We live in a forest, so there isn't too much to do other than that and the pots on the deck and front porch area. Take good care and stay safe, Deb.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures of game nights! How fun. I'm sorry you guys had to cancel your trip but what can you do right? It's so incredible how this thing has taken over everything. I am constantly reading news and probably just driving myself more insane! Yes, please share more of your pictures and stories from your previous trips. We can all imagine being there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, my husband has been such a good sport. He really doesn't enjoy playing games, but he knows that my mom and I like them and it's a nice way to pass the time before dinner. Yes, I am very disappointed that we had to cancel our roadtrip, but there will be others. I'm working on some travel posts today, so stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. Your outdoor photos are stunning! I'm also lucky to live in a beautiful area with plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. You were a lot more productive in March than I was. I only read two books and didn't watch much of anything other than (too much) news. Think I've finally fallen into a getter groove with reading (lighter fiction and historical fiction seem to work for me) and am watching far less news... just enough to stay informed, then that's it. I've also been cooking and baking a lot. Provisions are running low though, so I'm going to venture out this week to stock up again. Sorry about your cancelled trip... I know how much you were looking forward to it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, well, like you I live in a great place where the scenery is always gorgeous, rain or shine! We are pretty well-stocked with food items, although fruits and veggies will disappear in a week or so. I'm going to attempt to bake some cinnamon rolls (first time ever!) today and Rod is even interested in learning with me. :) Yes, it's such a bummer about our roadtrip, but there will me more sometime in the future, right? You take care, too!

      Delete
  5. Technology is definitely saving all of us through this - keeping us in touch with each other, allowing people to work from home. When my daughter was in Oregon a month ago, they were up at Depoe Bay and it was so fun to be able to say I know someone who lives there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I can't imagine not being able to keep in touch with family without FaceTime or Zoom, although I suppose we'd have our phones for conversations. I'm just not big on talking on the phone. :) I wonder how many companies will continue to allow their employees to work from home once this is all behind us. It would certainly help the environment if there were fewer cars on the highways. How fun for your daughter to visit Depoe Bay before this all started!

      Delete
  6. Oh, what a crazy month! In these surreal times, I've had a hard time finding balance. Gardening and long walks help. And lots of time talking with friends. You must be better than we are at Trivial Pursuit. Mostly we feel really dumb (but we laugh a lot). I got out our Big Boggle game tonight, I know we'll have more success with that, LOL. Love the photos of your mom and Rod playing games.
    Like you, I plan to catch up on our blog from our travels last summer and fall. :-) Stay well, keep enjoying every day! Oh, and I just got a copy of Oona Out of Order, thanks to your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, crazy indeed! I'm not a big fan of gardening, but we will need to get outside and do some yardwork pretty soon. There are always weeds and ivy that need to be pulled. I'm very good at Trivial Pursuit, but it's still fun. My husband ALWAYS wins. Oooh, I hope you enjoy Oona! I'm reading another light novel, which has grabbed my attention. Just need to fit it in between walks, games, Zoom, baking, puzzles, movies, etc. :)

      Delete
  7. You guys are using your self-isolation time well! It's fun to see how much you are doing! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, in some ways it's really no different than "normal" life around here. Maybe the addition of Rod playing games with us, but we've always done puzzles and we watch a lot of movies. We all agree, though, that we miss the freedom to spend time with friends. And Rod and I are especially missing our road trips. We all just need to be patient, though, right? Doing our part!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!