June 14, 2020

Welsh Rarebit

Welsh Rarebit
Photo Credit: Epicurious


It's been at least 40 years since I first tasted Welsh Rarebit, but something triggered that childhood memory and I decided to scour the Internet, in search of an authentic recipe that didn't resemble an open-faced toasted cheese sandwich. This recipe from Epicurious comes as close to what I remember my mom making for us, although we always ate it with toasted English muffins and crispy bacon. I also like to add a thick slice of tomato (placed on top of the muffin, followed by the bacon and cheese), but I draw the line at poached eggs or avocado. 

Ingredients:

16 (1/3-inch-thick) diagonal baguette slices (See my notes)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup porter or ale
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard (Coleman's)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
6 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 large egg yolk

My Additions:

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Crispy bacon 
Sliced tomato
Dash of Tabasco

Preheat broiler.

Spread one side of bread slices with 2 tablespoons butter (total), then arrange slices, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until golden brown, 1 to 4 minutes. (See my notes)

Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, then add flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Add beer and milk in a stream, whisking, then whisk in mustard, pepper, Worcestershire, and cheese. Bring to a simmer over moderately low heat, whisking, then simmer, whisking, until smooth, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately whisk in yolk. Serve cheese sauce on toast.

My Notes:

I use one whole English muffin (toasted but not buttered) per serving.

I include Worcestershire sauce and a dash of Tabasco to add a little bite to the sauce. 

In a pinch, I have used Negro Modelo instead of a porter or ale. I think any dark beer will work just fine, but nothing hoppy like an IPA.

Yield: 4 servings

Click on the link in my sidebar for more of my favorite recipes.

Please visit The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my! My mouth is salivating at the thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, it's such a simple recipe and oh, so satisfying.

      Delete
  2. I wonder where your mom got her recipe for this. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked with my mom and she says she used a recipe from The Williamsburg Cookbook. That recipe is very similar, although it doesn't call for milk (and the flour is substituted for cornstarch). It also instructed the cook to use a double boiler, which I actually considered when I made this for the first time.

      Delete
  3. My goodness, this sounds so good!
    You saying that you thought of this from 40 years ago made me smile! Just yesterday, I made a very simple dish of Cod poached in milk. I remember seeing a lady making that for her baby in 1985, she had it with mashed potatoes and peas and carrots. I looked up a recipe on it and found it from a Bon Appetit magazine. I made it and it was great! So...only been thinking about it for 35 years! LOL. (I even had it the same way, with mashed potatoes but instead of peas and carrots, I used this frozen veg. we like...Mexican vegetables.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay G. I've marked the Bon Appetit recipe and will give it a try. We are very lucky to have fresh cod in our markets right now.

      Delete
  4. Welsh Rabbit or Rarebit has always puzzled me. Why the name? Where did it come from? I looked up a little of its history a few years ago and blogged it here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2014/07/why-welsh-rarebit.html

    It seems to have been in all the famous American cookbooks in the early 20th century.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the information, Mae! As I mentioned to Deb, my mom found her recipe in a Williamsburg cookbook (published in 1971). That recipe is very similar to the one I found at Epicurious.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!