July 25, 2020

Fruit Galette

Daily life as a retiree hasn't changed too much since the pandemic began, but I have been more inspired to try new recipes since we aren't eating out nearly as often as we once did. Since I do most of the cooking, I rarely take time to do any baking and when I do, it's typically cookies, cakes or cobblers. Never pies. I honestly don't think I've ever made a pie crust from scratch and most of the pies I have made (back in the 80s) were most likely made with graham cracker crumbs.

Thanks to my discovery of some great recipes by Deb of Smitten Kitchen, I now feel more confident about pie dough. Or, should I say, galette dough. This past month I made a strawberry galette, not once, but four times! I found an easy and delicious recipe (Any-Kind-Of-Fruit Galette) and gave it a try with strawberries and rhubarb. Next I tried her Blue and Red Berry Ricotta Galette, making it for three separate gatherings (socially-distanced, of course). I used strawberries each time, but added rhubarb to one and raspberries to another. Today I made one with fresh peaches!




Both recipes are very similar; the only difference is the substitution of ricotta for yogurt or sour cream and the amount of berries. The Smitten Kitchen recipe includes a template should you decide to make the galette in the shape of a star. Click the link below for the template.




Pastry

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Zest of half a lemon
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup ricotta, plain yogurt or sour cream
3 tablespoons cold water

Filling

2-3 cups berries or chopped fruit (I used sliced strawberries)
3 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar (use the lower amount if your fruit is especially sweet)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Juice of half a lemon
Pinch of salt

Glaze

1 egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1 heaping teaspoon turbinado or coarse sugar for sprinkling

Dough:

Whisk the flour, salt, sugar and zest together in the bottom of a large bowl. Work the butter into the flour with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles a coarse meal and the largest bits of butter are the size of tiny peas.

Stir ricotta and 3 tablespoons water together in a small dish and pour into butter-flour mixture. Stir together with a flexible spatula as best as you can, then use your hands to knead the mixture into a rough, craggy ball. Wrap in plastic and flatten into a disc. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour or up to 48 hours, or you can quick-firm this in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Galette:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

On a floured counter, roll the dough out into a large round-ish shape, about 14 to 15 inches across.

Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet; I like to fold my dough gently, without creasing, in quarters then unfold it onto the baking pan.

Stir together all of the filling ingredients and spoon on to the dough, leaving a 2- to 3-inch border uncovered. Fold this border over fruit, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.

Whisk egg yolk and water together and brush over exposed crust. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake galette for 30 minutes or golden all over. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes, then slide the galette onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm or at room temperature, preferably with vanilla ice cream.

Galette keeps at room temperature for a few days and up to a week in the refrigerator.

Click on the link in my sidebar for more of my favorite recipes.

Please visit The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

16 comments:

  1. I used to feel the same way you do: pie dough impossible! But my Cuisineart came with a food processor recipe and I was able to do it. It’s been a while, though, as it’s tricky at a time when there’s such a temptation to eat too much.

    Beautiful pastries!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I thought about trying my food processor for this dough, but decided to stick with the pastry blender. Maybe next time. Yes, the temptation to eat a lot of extras is real! :)

      Delete
  2. I love galettes -- both sweet and savory. And I love Smitten Kitchen. Your desserts looks sooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I recently found a savory galette that I hope to try later this week. Smitten Kitchen is my new obsession! Thanks for your sweet comment. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm there! Those look great! I'd like to see the savory ones as well. I like baking more right now, you can only read so much and only walk in the morning (here) so...it's kitchen creations to keep busy.
    I also like Smitten Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. They were delicious! I did a quick search for savory galettes and found several that I'd like to try. Smitten Kitchen has three, so I may start there.

      Delete
  4. Wow that looks really good. I'm not at home to bake ... but maybe I'll try it when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I hope you do give it a try when you get home. It's wonderful comfort food. :) Be well and stay safe. Hope it won't be too hot when you get to your folks'.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of galettes, and yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marg. They're so good, but I'd have to say that the strawberry is my favorite.

      Delete
  6. I've not baked for months and this one looks so good. I love the look of the peach one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mystica. The peach galette is very pretty, but I enjoyed the strawberry/raspberry the best of all the varieties I made.

      Delete
  7. Oh, oh, oh! I've never tried to make or even eat a galette. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, with your baking skills, this would be a piece of cake for you! ;)

      Delete
  8. Looks delicious! I need to save this recipe. I loved baked goods. Honestly my biggest weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was!! I'm craving another, but the pandemic weight gain is real!! I love baked goods, too.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!