August 19, 2020

California Road Trip 2019 - Valley of the Rogue State Park

Yes, I am still blogging about last year's trip! Only a few more posts, though. Gotta get back out on the road and make new memories.

Monday & Tuesday, October 21 & 22, 2019

Hornbrook, CA to Grants Pass, OR
Valley of the Rogue State Park
Distance: 76 miles
Sites: D11 & F12 
Duration: 2 nights
Cost: $31 & $29/night

It was really hard to pack up and move on after such a lovely time at this peaceful campground, but it was time to head back into Oregon. We didn't have any reservations for the night, but I had a few spots in mind. We had an easy drive to Emigrant Lake near Ashland, but it didn't do anything for us, so we decided to keep going. We got lunch at Caldera Brewery in Ashalnd (the food was only ok, but it was nice to sit outside in the sun) then up to Medford where we got gas at Costco. We debated whether to head over to Crater Lake, but decided not to risk the weather (snow in the forecast). We settled on Valley of the Rogue State Park, which is on the river, but not visible from the campsites. The park doesn't compare to the serenity of the Blue Heron, but the fall trees were beautiful!


One last glimpse of the heron before we leave.

Really going to miss this great spot!

Meh. Very spicy tacos and far too much onion in the guac. 
However, the beer (Mogli Imperial Chocolate Porter) was excellent!

Too greasy!

That's a lot of beer!

The Rogue River.

This loop was closed, but I enjoyed
 my walk and all the gorgeous colors.


Nice pull-thru site, although we parked under an oak tree.
Pretty noisy as those acorns dropped all night long!

What an amazing tree!

After our first night, we decided to move from D Loop over to the F Loop, which looked out onto a wide open field and had much more space between sites. Both of our sites were fairly level with lots of trees, grass, a picnic table and fire ring. Cell service (both Sprint and Verizon) was strong. Overall, the park is pretty and quiet, making for a good stop for a few nights. I took a couple of nice bike rides on the Rogue River Greenway Trail, which ends in the town of Rogue River. 

The view from our living area.

View from the bedroom window.

Rogue River Greenway Trail.



Nice off-season camping!

Great site! Long and level with lots of space.







More pretty fall colors.


The town of Rogue River.







Peaceful evening.

14 comments:

  1. Such a lovely spot to visit. Fall camping must be very different from the hustle-bustle of summer (though I imagine that is not true this summer). I wonder what it will be like when you go back out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, we really enjoyed camping in September & October. There are far fewer people camping once Labor Day comes and goes, although I don't know what it will be like this year. There are so many people buying RVs and camping since the pandemic began and I'm afraid the parks will continue to be full in the "off season." We head out for a week in September, so we'll see what it's like out there!

      Delete
  2. And the labyrinth. I don't think I've ever seen a labyrinth outside of church grounds. Interesting to see this one at a park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, this is the third labyrinth I've seen outside of church grounds. The first was on the beach in Bandon, OR. An artist created it in the sand! Another was at a golf course (also in Bandon), on a nature trail in the woods. I love them!

      Delete
  3. Wow such pretty colors & photos. Gosh I wish we could travel normally again. Makes you want to get up & go! I'd like to bike some of these Greenway trails ... I have not been to these areas of OR or CA yet ... but I hope to someday. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, a lot of people are taking up camping and RV travel as a way to safely get away. We've been traveling with our RV for three years now and while I'm happy others are enjoying this mode of travel, I'm sorry that the campgrounds will be more crowded, especially since so many schools have gone to distance learning and families will be able to travel on into the fall. Having said that, I hope you get a chance to visit some of these beautiful spots in Oregon and California.

      Delete
  4. I think fall is my favorite season in the Rogue Valley...you captured beautiful colors! We've stopped at Rogue River for picnics and thought it was a pretty campground and have biked the Greenway many times. Sorry you didn't like Emigrant Lake...I wonder if you caught it when the water level was low. We've stayed there several times since beginning our fulltime travels (because our home is occupied by renters) and have always enjoyed it. The sites on the peninsula overlooking the water are especially lovely. I'm glad that you're posting from last October...I'll soon be posting about the rest of our travels from last summer/fall, so I'm in good company, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel! I think Emigrant Lake was a bit low when we drove through the campground. I'll have to check out the sites on the peninsula and search your blog for photos & information. Only a couple more posts from our trip and I'll be caught up! Time to get back out there!

      Delete
  5. Oh, the cool and colorful fall! I'd love to be able to take a road trip right now and the pictures of the valley are so beautiful that I'd want to go in the fall when it is crisp and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, we really saw some beautiful fall colors on the last part of our trip. It wasn't quite yet crisp, but it certainly wasn't hot! :)

      Delete
  6. Love all the fall colours in your photos. Looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marg. It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since we were on this trip!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful red tree and you even found a labyrinth! So amazing. Thank you for sharing these as we are all staying in place at least we can imagine traveling via your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I think the red tree is a maple. So beautiful in the fall! And, yes. That labyrinth was fun. I was the only one around when I walked it. I'm glad you're enjoying my travel posts. There's more to come!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!