August 21, 2020

Looking Back - The Dreyfus Affair

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
1992 Random House
Read in November 1999
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

When a star shortstop falls in love with the second baseman, the result is a provocative and rollicking odyssey through an unforgettable World Series Championship season. What this does to their lives, families, team, and the President of the US is hilarious, poignant, brilliant, and dazzling fun.

My Original Thoughts (1999):

Very entertaining! Shortstop falls in love with the second baseman. Has to accept his sexuality. Very funny and readable. Would make a great movie.

My Current Thoughts:

I have no memory at all of this book, but it sounds like it might be a fun re-read. The publisher's blurb is brief, so I'll leave you with a blurb from Publishers Weekly:
This seriocomic second novel by the author of The Deal tells the offbeat story of baseball star Randy Dreyfus, whose life--on the surface, at least--seems a winning streak that will never end. His manager tells him, "You're 28 years old. You got the best swing since Ted Williams. You're the fastest white guy in the league. You've got a nice wife, a family, you're pulling down two point three a year, not to mention the TV and merchandising money." However, Dreyfus has one big problem--he has fallen in love with D. J., the team's second baseman--as well as a few smaller ones: his wife thinks he's sleeping with another woman, his shrink is driving him crazy and he wants to kill his unruly Dalmatian. When Dreyfus and D. J. are caught in the act under most bizarre circumstances, the political and professional fallout affects the World Series and the White House alike. Lefcourt employs a smoothly smart-alecky tone reminiscent of Dan Jenkins's football fiction, albeit without Jenkins's expert handling of the locker-room milieu. The tone grates after a while, but the novel is not without moments of genuine wit. Although the finale is more whimper than bang, the book's zany charm has a cumulative impact.

6 comments:

  1. If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to combine the book reviews here? Maybe you mentioned it on another post which I had not read.

    I have a separate book blog and it's on WP, bit the new editor is making me crazy. I have considered starting another book blog on Blogspot, maybe importing the content. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I'm not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking why I have my original review combined with "current thoughts"? I have been posting old "reviews" from my reading journals for several years. Maybe you missed the top portion of this post, which says:

    "Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals."

    I have never tried WP, but the new Blogspot platform has given me a little trouble. I think I've finally figured it out, though. I understand the need for updating systems, but sometimes I wish the higher ups would leave well enough alone. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I wasn't clear with my question but I think my mind interpreted it this way: you were moving your book reviews from another site to THIS one. And that's not the case. You have been reviewing here all along. I'm easily mixed up as I've been in a tizzy over the new editors on both Blogspot and WP.

      I do my reviews on WP and absolutely love the site. Until the new editor. It's even worse than blogspot. I agree with you, I wish the higher ups had left things alone. We were all happy.

      Delete
    2. Yep, this blog is full of book reviews, recipes, music, travel, photography, etc. :)

      Delete
  3. This one is probably not for me due to the sports. If there's too much talk about sports I'll start falling asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, yeah. This one does have a lot of baseball narrative, so it's probably not for you. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!