July 17, 2020

Looking Back - A Sweetness to the Soul

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




A Sweetness to the Soul by Jane Kirkpatrick
Fiction
2008 Multnomah (first published in 1995)
Finished on October 31, 1999
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

Based on historical characters and events, A Sweetness to the Soul recounts the captivating story of young, spirited Oregon pioneer Jane Herbert who at the age of twelve faces a tragedy that begins a life-long search for forgiveness and love. In the years that follow, young Jane finds herself involved in an unusual and touching romance with a dreamer sixteen years her senior, struggles to make peace with an emotionally distant mother, and fights to build a family of her own. Filled with heart-warming insight and glimpses of real-life pain, A Sweetness to the Soul paints a brilliant picture of love that conquers all obstacles and offers a powerful testimony to the miracle of God's healing power. 

My Original Thoughts (1999):

Pretty good, but nothing great. It took me a long time to get interested in the characters and want to continue reading. Not a spell-binding novel, but not completely boring. 

My Current Thoughts:

My original comments reflect a more positive reaction than my rating. Last year I tried to read another book by Kirkpatrick (The Daughter's Walk), but gave up after several chapters. I usually enjoy historical fiction, but this author is not for me.

5 comments:

  1. I thought I'd read a book or two by this author, but when I looked at her list I found that I had picked up a few and then somehow didn't read them. Some were trilogies with pioneers crossing the prairie toward the west. Ah well. On to the next.

    I've started cataloguing my reading journals on Library Thing in the last few days. I'm up to 1998 and have already entered The Sparrow - which means I'm past the time when we met online. It's been interesting looking at these books that I read while we lived in Oregon and after we moved back to Texas. I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, a lot of women in my book group enjoy books by this author since the locations tend to be set in Oregon. As I mentioned, I have tried a couple, but don't care for them. Oh, well.

      Isn't it fun to look back on the books you were reading in the 90s? I know I enjoy these weekly posts and reminiscing about my favorites as well as those I've forgotten. I'm just about finished writing about those I read in 1999. That leaves about 16 more years worth (pre-blogging days)! :)

      Delete
    2. Make that 6 more years, not 16!

      Delete
  2. The author sounds a bit familiar. I may have to pull out my old reading journals to see if I've read anything by her and will have to report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, she's written quite a few novels, so I wouldn't be surprised if you've read something of hers.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!