August 10, 2020

A Good Neighborhood

 

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler
Fiction
2020 St. Martin's Press
Finished on August 4, 2020
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In Oak Knoll, a verdant, tight-knit North Carolina neighborhood, professor of forestry and ecology Valerie Alston-Holt is raising her bright and talented biracial son. Xavier is headed to college in the fall, and after years of single parenting, Valerie is facing the prospect of an empty nest. All is well until the Whitmans move in next door - an apparently traditional family with new money, ambition, and a secretly troubled teenaged daughter.

Thanks to his thriving local business, Brad Whitman is something of a celebrity around town, and he's made a small fortune on his customer service and charm, while his wife, Julia, escaped her trailer park upbringing for the security of marriage and homemaking. Their new house is more than she ever imagined for herself, and who wouldn't want to live in Oak Knoll? With little in common except a property line, these two very different families quickly find themselves at odds: first, over an historic oak tree in Valerie's yard, and soon after, the blossoming romance between their two teenagers.

Told from multiple points of view, A Good Neighborhood asks big questions about life in America today―What does it mean to be a good neighbor? How do we live alongside each other when we don't see eye to eye?―as it explores the effects of class, race, and heartrending star-crossed love in a story that’s as provocative as it is powerful.

I haven't read Fowler's previous novels (A Well-Behaved Woman and Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald), but the premise of A Good Neighborhood appealed to me and I was pleased to win an ARC from the publisher earlier this year. I was quickly pulled into the narrative and enjoyed the thought-provoking story, although I didn't care for the first person plural POV, which felt gimmicky and kept me from caring about most of the characters. 
Before we depict the first encounter between our story's other central players, we need to show the wider setting in which this slow tragedy unfolded. As our resident English professor would remind us, place, especially in stories of the South, is as much a character as any human, and inseparable from--in this case even necessary to--the plot.
There is quite a bit of foreshadowing, which helped move this Greek-like tragedy along, but there were no surprises and it was all fairly predictable. My initial reaction after the intense finale, was to give the book a high rating, but after thinking about the plot and character development, I've dropped it down to an average rating. Nonetheless, this is a timely book, touching on the injustices of race and class, and would make a good selection for a book club discussion, especially if combined with Bryan Stevenson's Just Mercy.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, Les. I picked this one up a few months ago, probably soon after it came out but haven't been inclined to read it yet. I read another book by this author a long time ago and can't remember what it was - need to go back and look through my journals. It does sound like a good book group discussion novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, it was a decent read with memorable scenes, but I feel like the author tried to tackle too many issues and there were a few too many stereotypes for my liking.

      Delete
  2. I liked this one more than you but, it's funny, when I wait a while before posting a review for a so so read, my final rating always tends to be lower than I originally considered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, when it comes to ratings, I try to trust my gut reaction after I finish a book, but then I start comparing it to other books with the same rating and that's when I start flip-flopping! This one probably could have been a 3.5, but I dislike those half stars for some reason. :)

      Delete
  3. I want to read this one and I can imagine that it would be a good selection for a book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, several of my friends on Goodreads gave it a higher rating, so I have a feeling you might enjoy it better than I did.

      Delete
  4. Thx for the review ... I've gotten this as an audiobook from the library a few times ... but haven't made time for it yet. I wonder if the plural POV will drive me a bit nuts after awhile? I guess your review makes me on the fence whether to take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I looked to see who the reader is for the audio, but don't recognize her name (Ella Turenne). I'll be interested to hear your thoughts, if you do decide to jump off that fence and give it a listen. :)

      Delete
  5. I think I may pass on this one. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Deb. I don't feel like I wasted my time on the book, but I really want more quality reading these days.

      Delete
  6. I agree that the final part of the book is so fast and intense that I was leaning toward a higher rating, but the rest of the book warranted good, not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, of course now I have no recollection of that finale! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!