September 7, 2020

R.I.P. XV

 


It's that time again! I haven't participated in this reading challenge for quite some time, but I have several mystery/thrillers that I've been meaning to read, so challenge accepted! It looks like this will be an Instagram/Twitter challenge, with nobody hosting on their blog. So, the "rules" from one of Carl's previous R.I.P. challenges are thus:

Mystery. Suspense. Thriller. Dark Fantasy. Gothic. Horror. Supernatural. 

There is just something about this time of year, when the ghosts of past Autumns and the Autumn to come chase away the dog days of summer, that entices one to read books that fit into the above categories. 

It was a desire share the love of eerie, creepy, things-that-go-bump-in-the-night literature that brought me into the online reading challenge game for the first time back in September of 2006. My goals today, in this its third iteration, are no different than the inaugural R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.

2. Share that fun with others.

It is that simple.

Choose one of more of the perils listed below: 

Peril the First: 

Read Four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.  

Peril the Second:

Read Two books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.  

Peril the Third:

Read One book of any length from one of the subgenres listed above. This peril is for those who want to participate but don’t want to get bogged down in a long list of books. It is also for those who feel this type of reading is not their proverbial cup of tea but are willing to challenge themselves by giving just one book a try.

A dozen years have passed since I joined this challenge and now readers have included short stories, movies and group reads to the list of perils. In an effort to read from my stacks, I have chosen Peril the First and am optimistic that not only will I complete four books over the course of the challenge, but at least half of the dozen I have selected. 

Have you read any of these? If so, which are worth my time?


Click here to see posts from my previous R.I.P. challenges.

16 comments:

  1. So glad you are joining! I've read Behind Her Eyes... what a wild book. I did like it but not what I was expecting. Magpie Murders was really good too. Whatever you end up reading, I hope you find some great reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I just finished Behind Her Eyes. Wow! I need to let it settle before I can write my review, but you're right. It was a wild book!

      I'm looking forward to Magpie Murders. I think I first heard about it from you. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice variety. I own a couple by Horowitz but, haven't read them yet. Hope you enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I've heard very good things about the Horowitz books, so I'm excited to finally move them up in my stacks.

      Delete
  3. I've read Behind Her Eyes and Blood Harvest. Sharon Bolton's first few books were pretty scary! They were mysteries/horror and perfect for R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I just finished Behind Her Eyes. Wow. What a book! I hope Blood Harvest isn't too scary. I probably need to alternate between thrillers and mysteries so I don't get too scared.

      Delete
  4. I have not read these but your bunch of books looks good. Perhaps Sycamore calls to me. I think I might try the RIP .... a couple Shirley Jackson books before Halloween. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this is a fun challenge and since I already read a lot of mysteries and thrillers, it's easy and good motivation to move some older books to the top of my stacks.

      Delete
  5. Ah, the Perils. I remember them well, though I've not read them in a while.

    Looks like you have a nice pile of potential perils there! Very glad you are taking part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl, I'm so excited about this year's challenge. I finished my first book last night and it was a winner, so I'm off to a good start.

      Delete
  6. Les, I've read several of these books. Behind Her Eyes, Blood Harvest, A Field of Darkness, and Magpie Murders. That last one is really good. The first is quite, quite odd. I love most everything that Sharon Bolton writes and I can't remember much about A Field of Darkness. Good luck with the RIP challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I just finished Behind Her Eyes, which I enjoyed very well, but had to suspend disbelief on more than one occasion. Now I'm reading Every Last Lie, which kept me up VERY late last night. This is going to be a fun challenge!

      Delete
  7. I've read The House on the Strand but I had to look back at GoodReads to verify because I couldn't remember anything about it! I do love du Maurier but that one was forgettable, at least to me. Have you seen that there's a new version of Rebecca coming out soon on Netflix? I'm excited to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I think The House on the Strand will be my next read. I just finished two thrillers and I'm ready for a change of pace. I did see that Netflix has an updated version of Rebecca. We plan to watch!

      Delete
  8. I just finished Heart-Shaped Box for R.I.P and I am about to start The Sun Down Motel.
    Heart-Shaped Box was a ghost story if I ever read one. Very riveting and creepy but not overly graphic which I can appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, it's been a long time since I read Heart-Shaped Box, but I remember it scared me silly! (Just found it on my blog. I read it for RIP II and gave it a 4.5/5 rating. Link here.

      I'm going to start The House on the Strand tonight since I'm a little burned out on thrillers. I also picked up a new Stephen King book (The Institute) for my husband at the library, so I may add that to my RIP list.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!