September 8, 2020

20 Books of Summer Reading Challenge Results

 

I actually selected 21 books for the 20 Books of Summer reading challenge, knowing full well that I would probably only read half, but wanting to give myself enough variety to suit my mood. There were several books that had been lurking on my shelves for far too long, as well as a few new titles and one that I had hoped to reread. 


Books Read

The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin (4/5)

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (4/5)

A Better Man by Louise Penny (4/5)

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler (3/5)

Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny (4/5)

The Confession Club by Elizabeth Berg (2/5)

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (5/5)

The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead (3/5)


Books Abandoned

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury - Loved this when I read it in junior high school, and have always wanted to read it again, but found it too wordy and dull. So disappointing, since it was one I remembered with great fondness.

About Grace by Anthony Doerr - Loved All the Light We Cannot See, but couldn't get interested in this one. 

The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams - Wasn't in the mood for this book.

Summer at the Garden Cafe by Felicity Hayes-McCoy - I didn't realize this is a sequel. Still, not really for me.

This was a fun challenge and it was nice to focus on some older books, particularly State of Wonder and The Summer Guest. Now on to the R.I.P. XV Challenge!

14 comments:

  1. You did great - I'm thinking I might want to read State of Wonder again sometime. I really liked that one. I liked Nickel Boys and A Good Neighborhood a lot more than you as well. Have fun with RIP XV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I was so pleased with State of Wonder. It was such a great read!

      Just finished my first book for RIP XV. If all the other books are as entertaining as the first one I read, I'll be a very happy reader!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry Dandelion Wine didn't hold up. I loved it many years ago, and I remember it fondly, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I don't know why I have struggled with re-reading Dandelion Wine. This was my second or third attempt, but I just couldn't get interested. :(

      Delete
  3. It seems you had a good summer of reads you mostly liked. I liked State of Wonder and Nickel Boys (though it made me cringe too). Will you be reading The Guest Book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I really did have a good summer of reading and am now enjoying my fall books. Yes, I plan to read The Guest Book, but probably not for a little while. I'm spending September and October reading a selection for the RIP XV challenge.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Dandelion Wine. I read it for the second time a couple of months ago and just loved it. It is the wordiness, which is definitely there, which makes it so appealing to me.

    I've really got to get caught up with the Louise Penny books, I am way behind. At least 3 books, perhaps 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl, I am so bummed that I couldn't get interested in re-reading Dandelion Wine. I've tried more than once, but each time it's been a struggle to just get past the first dozen pages. I might give it a try on audio, since I remember it so fondly from years ago.

      Oooh, you're in for a treat with those last few Louise Penny books. They are some of her best!

      Delete
  5. It's always fun for me to plan for an event (almost as much fun as it is to actually attend the event). I think you chose some wonderful books, and if they didn't all pan out, I nevertheless think it was a great event for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I love making lists and seeing just how well I can complete the goals of a challenge like this one. Now I'm focusing on my selections for RIP XV. I'm off to a good start. The first book was a winner!

      Delete
  6. I’d totally forgotten Justin Cronin had this book before The Passage trilogy, I loved those books. I’ll get this added to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, my husband's reading the Cronin book right now and has commented a couple of times on the writing. If you enjoyed his trilogy, I think you'll find The Summer Guest to be a winner, as well.

      Delete
  7. You did great with your challenge! I have been trying to focus my reading on ARCs and my own copies but somehow my shelves are still packed. Probably because I keep buying books. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was a fun challenge and nice to focus on a good selection of books from my TBR shelves. I haven't bought any books in a long time, so it feels good to make some progress. Of course, that can all change if I decide to splurge later this year for my birthday. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!