September 13, 2020

The New Normal?

Who knew that the pandemic would take a backseat to another serious threat to our safety, but apparently 2020 is not finished with scaring the crap out of us!

Where to begin? 

Monday, September 7th

It was a dark and stormy night. 

The forecast was for warmer weather with high wind gusts arriving late Monday night. We live in a forest with some very huge trees, but we've had strong winds before so I wasn't terribly worried. We went to bed, but once the wind picked up, it was impossible to sleep. The wind howled (actually, it sounded more like a growl) and debris was thrown on to the roof and against the windows. Pine cones, leaves, and what sounded like very large branches, fell on the house all night. I had visions of our huge tree, which is in the backyard by our deck, falling on the house or a branch breaking one of our large windows. I moved to the couch, hoping it was just a little bit safer than the upstairs bedroom. I couldn't sleep, so I went back upstairs and as dawn approached, the wind beast grew quiet.

Deathly quiet.

The house was pitch black. 

Our house is never pitch black. The glow from clocks, the weather radio, the microwave clock, the refrigerator panel, and the DVD player all light up the house even as we sleep. But not that morning.

Tuesday, September 8th 

The power was out.

The phones were dead. (We have terrible cell service and are dependent on a landline.)

No hum of the refrigerator or the separate freezer.

Deathly still and...

The house is barely visible in this picture.

 


this eerie sky, which was red from the smoke of a distant fire. But at the time, we didn't know this. For all we knew, the ridge to the east of us could be on fire. 

It felt like we were on Mars.

Without power and no way to find out what was going on, I put on a mask and headed outside. I didn't see any trees on the house, but the air was full of smoke. The driveway was covered with debris from all the surrounding trees. So much, that it had to be scooped with shovels before a leaf blower could make any headway.

I talked to a few neighbors and was able to gather information about the distant fire that was causing the smoky sky. We weren't in any imminent danger, so all we could do is wait for more updates. The sky grew darker and the red glow was replaced with darkness. It felt like 10 pm rather than 10 am. 

Eventually, it grew light and I was able to read by the window, but my mind wouldn't relax and I paced the house, wondering how long until the power would be out. Would we lose all the food in the refrigerator and freezers? Should we set up the generator? I decided to take another walk and see what the rest of the neighborhood looked like.

I spotted this tree leaning precariously across the road, 
hung up on a branch of another tree. Not good!

This is one of two paths behind our house. 
Several trees had fallen across the path and into the common area 
behind our yard. There were more, but none hit our house or the deck.



I walked up to the entrance of our community and looked north and south where traffic on Highway 101 was at a complete standstill. Just to the south, as the road makes a turn toward Whale Cove Inn, several large trees had fallen across the highway. Power lines were down and the road was impassable.  It would take hours before crews could get in, assess the situation and clear the road.

I returned to the house and wandered around aimlessly, feeling at loose ends. We used battery-powered lanterns to fix our meals and I tried to use one to work on a puzzle, but it was still too dark. I bounced texts back and forth with friends, hoping to hear some news about the situation with the power and the fires, but everyone was in the same situation. No news. 

This is another shot of the tree
 leaning across Walking Wood.


Two more trees lying across another interior path. 

It's difficult to tell what this is, but it's the root ball
of the large spruce that fell on the path. 
You can see the trunk of the tree
in the lower left hand corner.

This is the same tree, which fell perfectly straight down the path
 and missed the nearby home on the left. These are huge trees
 and the photos don't do them justice.

I walked out to the bluff and the sky was murky with smoke and ash. It felt like I was the last person on earth. 

Looking north toward Depoe Bay.

The sun was a ball of fire in the sky.

Looking south toward Whale Cove.


I was so thankful this beautiful tree of ours stood tall 
and didn't topple over onto our house (and our bedroom!).

The power finally came back on around 4 pm, so we were able to fix dinner and settled in to watch an episode of Bosch. 

Wednesday, September 9th

The sky was a little bit brighter than the previous day, but as the morning progressed, the sky turned a creepy yellow as the fire to the north of us gained intensity.




We were glued to our phones and computers (which were very sluggish), constantly refreshing sites, seeking any news about the dangerous fire situation. We didn't have to wait long. 




By mid-morning, we were informed of nearby evacuations. Our area wasn't included in any of the three levels, but we only live 8 miles from the green area (Level 1). We decided we would leave if we reached Level 2 since we knew the highway would be gridlocked. 

We started packing our Go Bags and gathering up some food supplies. Our plan was to drive to South Beach where our RV is stored. From there we would take it and the car and head south to a campground, hopefully out of harm's way. We had everything for the RV loaded in the car and had all the last minute items ready to load once we reached Level 2. The Internet and our cell phones were still very slow and spotty, but we had a friend (a former fire fighter) who planned to call us if he got word before we did. We felt fairly comfortable with our plan and after a very long and stressful day, managed to go to get a decent night's sleep.

Thursday, September 10

What a difference a day makes. We were so relieved that we didn't have to evacuate, especially in the middle of the night! The wind had shifted and was blowing in off the coast from the southwest. I went for a walk and could feel a light mist from the fog, which was such a welcome relief from the previous day's dense smoke. I could still smell smoke in the air, but it wasn't nearly as oppressive as the night before. 

Our grounds crew was busy clearing the pathways and there were a few more neighbors out and about, checking in on each other.





Saturday, September 12

Today, the sound of chainsaws echo through the air, but things are beginning to look up. The squirrels and birds have finally returned, including the hummingbirds, who seem to be guzzling the nectar in their feeder.


Evacuations have been lifted in some areas near the fire and we might get rain as soon as Monday. Highway 18 remains closed from Lincoln City east through the Van Duzer corridor to Grand Ronde (which is our route to Salem). The Echo Mountain Complex Fire has burned approximately 2,435 acres and, as of today, is 20% contained. Cooler temps have arrived and our air quality is down from 415 (yesterday) to 320, which is still considered hazardous. 

I continue to think about all those who have been affected by not only our local fire, but all the fires in the western part of our country. This was our first experience with the fear of losing our home and, quite possibly loved ones, but there are so many who have gone through this year after year, living under the threat of evacuation and unhealthy skies.

Something has to change.

Updated with corrections to all the dates. I had written August when I meant September. 2020 continue to mess with my awareness of the passage of time...

40 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you didn't have any trees fall and didn't have to evacuate. For about 30 yrs. our back yard butted up against a forest. They were always doing "contained burns" but one got away from them and got very close to our house. Our yard was full of smoke and ash and we were evacuated. I was afraid we were going to lose our house but thankfully they finally got it under control. It was very scary! I hope they get the fire under control soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, that must have been very scary to have that controlled burn get away and get close to your house! The local fire is now 40% contained and the air quality is improving. Thanks for your concern!

      Delete
  2. What a week you have had. Glad you did not have to evacuate and are safe. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Hoping for a peaceful week for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, this week has been quite a bit calmer! We've even had a little bit of rain. Could use more, but we'll take what we can get.

      Delete
  3. Oh Lesley: That's super scary! Those red pictures at the top of your post .... look like the fire is right outside. Very scary ... with that wind I wouldn't have slept either. Heart rate is high just thinking about it. Glad the conditions have improved a bit. I'm worried for Oregonians .... these fires are devastating. So glad you are all right. Keep us informed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it was pretty stressful, especially that first morning when we saw the red sky and didn't know what was going on. It's such a sad situation for Washington, Oregon and California (as well as the other western states) and I'm afraid this year isn't an anomaly for our coast. I hope it's not too late to make some significant changes...

      Delete
  4. How scary for all of you. I'm so happy you had a good game plan and that you ended up safe. So scary what is going on in CA, OR and WA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it really is scary and so tragic. I'm thankful we're safe, but there are so many in these western states who have lost their homes and loved ones. I really can't imagine that heartache.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh. What a horrible week. Those photos with the red sky are terrifying. I cannot imagine having no power and no way to find out what is going on. I'm glad that none of those huge trees fell on your house, and I'm glad you did not have to evacuate, and I'm very hopeful that those fires will be put out soon. Sending good thoughts and prayers to you, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, things have improved and this has been a much better week. I'm thankful for so many things and appreciate your good thoughts and prayers. xo

      Delete
  6. I'm just east of Portland. We haven't had those scary red skies but the smoke has been unrelenting since Wednesday afternoon. We aren't even in a level 1 evacuation zone but we're close enough that we're watching it. We live in our RV while we're traveling for my husband's job, so at least we're mobile. I've tried to keep the counters as clear as possible so we don't have to do much to hit the road. I think the most stressful thing for me is that my husband has had to work at the hospital almost every day, just by chance. He drives our one car (into a level 1 zone) to work and I'm here with the RV. At least we both have motors but I've barely driven the RV and hated it when I tried it. If we had to get out quickly while he was at work, I would panic. But I know I would do what I have to do too. I can't imagine living with this threat every year. Let's hope that rain really arrives and gives the firefighters some help. I'm glad things are improving where you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, our air quality has improved quite a bit now that we've had some wind coming off the ocean. I've seen several posts from friends in the Portland area (and up by Seattle) and I can imagine how awful it is to be outside, if only for a couple of minutes. I would bet that the AQ in the RV isn't the best, either. I'm sure you will be able to manage the RV, if you had to. Do you keep it unhooked from water and sewer while he's at work? I do most of the Rv driving, but in a panic to unhook everything, bring the slide in, move off blocks and secure the interior, I can imagine forgetting something! I hope you guys get some rain, but no lightning strikes. We heard thunder last night, but didn't see any lightning. Stay safe!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us -- we need to know more about how people are experiencing the latest in our series of nightmares. I hope all will soon be well.

    Question: your dates all say "August" but the dates Monday the 7th etc and the intensity of the fires sound like your experience was last week, Sept. 7 -10. If this is correct, please delete this comment, which will become obsolete.

    Please be well and stay safe, and I hope you get some rain to quench the fires.

    best ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, thanks for pointing out my mistake regarding the month! I also been writing August in my bullet journal for the past couple of weeks. Yikes! We did get a little bit of rain and the wind direction has shifted, so we are doing much better here. Not so much in the Portland/Seattle areas, though. Thanks for your good thoughts.

      Delete
  8. What a tense week for you and your family. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, we have seen considerable improvements, so this week was not nearly as stressful. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I cannot imagine the fear and confusion of such an event. The skies alone are frightening, can't even think about the combination of wind and smoke. Living with a threat like this must be so stressful. Praying for rain throughout all the fire areas that are burning now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, without power (and landline phone service), it was pretty stressful. It helped to have a good network of friends in the neighborhood to keep us abreast of what they knew. Thank goodness for text messages! We've had a little bit of rain this week and the Echo Mountain Fire is about 40% contained. It looks like the highway opened today, which means they've removed all the trees that were a safety threat to traffic. We'll hope we don't get heavy rain, which can cause mudslides in that area. Ugh.

      Delete
  10. This is terrifying. For the past several days, we've been talking with our friends and family in Ashland and the Rogue Valley and Portland. The fires have been devastating, and all of our loved ones have been trapped indoors for days because of the smoke or are displaced because of the fires. We're so glad to know that you're safe. You're right...something needs to change...so many things need to change, and now. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, my heart goes out to your friends and family in Oregon! It must be so difficult being so far away. We have friends who also have family near Ashland who had to be evacuated. Such trying times! And now you are dealing with Hurricane Sally? Or are you guys ok? What a freakin' year!! Stay safe.

      Delete
  11. We started 2020 on fire here in Australia so I am sympathetic, all I can offer is advice to be prepared and stay safe!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, 2020 has been the worst year ever. It seems like such a long time ago that you all were dealing with your fires. Yes, we are prepared and, I guess we'll have to be from now on. I never thought I'd worry about forest fires when we moved here. Tsunamis, yes. Fires, not so much. Thanks for writing. Take good care.

      Delete
  12. I think it is a good idea that you wrote all this down. Fire terrifies me. What do people do who have farm animals? I have read of people saying they are moving out of the areas out there and will never return.
    We have an outside little generator, and if the power is off more than an hour and the power company says it will be a while, we hook it up with long cords and turn on the fridge, freezer, computer, and television! Our water isn't connected to a pump so we have water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, this blog has always been a personal journal of sorts, hasn't it? Yes, fire is quite terrifying. Even more so than tornadoes and earthquakes, in my opinion. Probably because those incidents don't last for weeks or months! I'm not sure what people do with farm animals. I believe there are organizations that help move them out of the dangerous areas, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that. I have also read about the exodus from California and other fire zone areas. Once Rod's arm has healed, we'll move our two generators to the deck and porch so we can get connected quickly, should we lose power this winter (or next fire season). They're both in the garage and we've never used them - bought them when we had the travel trailer. I'm so glad we were only without power for 12 hours and not a week, like some folks!

      Delete
    2. We still have had no rain. The heat has slowed and we've had frosts, and the killing frost.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad the heat has slowed, Nan, but it's troubling that you haven't had any rain. Is it early for hard freezes in your area? Before the leaves have dropped? I remember when we got a terrible ice storm in October when we lived in Nebraska. The leaves hadn't fallen and the weight of the ice damaged so many trees! You could hear the limbs cracking all night. It was awful.

      Delete
  13. This has got to be the scariest post I've read... so sorry you are in the midst of all this, but thankful you are safe and well at the moment. I so agree with Laurel... many things need to change right away! Take care, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. It was such a stressful few days, but all is well... for now. The rainy season doesn't really begin until November, so we need to be vigilant about fires for several more weeks. Hope all is well with you. I'm looking forward to when you return to blogging. :)

      Delete
  14. The pictures you shared say it all. That sky and the strange colors. Very, very scary. I've hated to read about the fires everywhere, but my a piece of my heart stays in Oregon all the time. I'm so happy that you guys remain safe and so good that you have a plan in case things change. All of these events this year just reinforce in my mind that we should all have plans for various things - weather events, disasters, etc. Thinking about all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, the colors of the sky were so surreal. If anything, my camera didn't really depict the reality of those shades of red and yellow. Very creepy! I know you have a special place in your heart for Oregon and I hope the scars from the fires heal over before your next visit. Yes, proper disaster planning is very important for everyone. We learned a lot about this last week. Take care.

      Delete
  15. We had those skies as well but not quite as bad as those orange shots. We are still yellow here. Ash is still coming down in spurts. But you had a storm too?? Was it caused by the fire itself because we have had to evacuate twice and in both cases, the winds really kicked up which caused more damage everywhere. I am so glad those trees didn't come down anywhere near your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, you guys have been suffering from smoky skies much longer than we have this summer. I feel so bad for my family and friends in CA, OR and WA. Yes, we had a windstorm that began before the nearby fire did. We still don't know what caused that fire, but there wasn't any lightning, so I don't know if the storm caused it with a downed power line or something else that might cause a spark to ignite the dry vegetation. I'm just glad it's getting contained! Take care.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness, that is terrifying, your pictures really look like their from a dystopian film. I’m so glad to hear you are safe, please take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, we drove past the burn area yesterday on our way over to Salem and it was heartbreaking to see all the homes that were lost in the fire. Thankfully, no lives were lost in this particular fire. The air is clear now and we've had some rain, so I think we are out of the woods, so to speak.

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad that you are safe. It must have been so nerve-wracking. We're thinking about all of you in the West, it is just awful on top of everything else going on. I can't wait for 2020 to be gone. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it was very stressful, but we've had some rain and the air is finally clear. Yes, 2020 needs to stop right now. With the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, I can't imagine what else 2020 can throw at us. Enough is enough!

      Delete
  18. It is hard to comprehend this and I'm so sorry you guys had to experience this. Thank goodness you are all ok and your home but how frightening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, we are very thankful that we didn't encounter any serious problems here in our little community. We've had a lot of rain this week and today the sky is bright blue with only a few puffy clouds. I'm so glad the smoke-filled skies are gone!

      Delete
  19. Oh my goodness! The photographs give a perfect indication of the anxiety you endured; they look “otherworldly”! So glad you are safe, that the trees didn’t topple on your home, that you were preserved from harm. It seems all we can do, sometimes, to keep strong in these scary days. Love to you, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meredith! We've had quite a bit of rain, so I think we can safely say that our fire season is over. Hope all is well with you, too. xoxo

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!