October 12, 2020

Blood Harvest

 


Mystery
2010 Minotaur Books
Finished on October 8, 2020
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

The Fletchers' new house--built between two churches in a small village--ought to be paradise, but they've barely settled in before they find that someone seems to be trying to drive them away with increasingly dangerous threats targeting their oldest child, ten-year-old Tom.

The adults in his life try to help, but there are hints that something isn't quite right in the village, starting with the mysterious deaths of three toddlers over the last ten years. It's not until Tom's younger siblings go missing that the village's secrets turns the family's dreams into a nightmare.

With Sacrifice, Awakening, and now Blood Harvest, Bolton displays her remarkable talent as a beguiling storyteller, a master of thrills, and the mistress of her own brand of modern Gothic tale. 

Blood Harvest was a perfect selection for this year's RIP challenge. This atmospheric mystery includes creepy voices in an old church and graveyard, unexplainable events and missing belongings, all of which add up to a chilling read. It was much spookier than I anticipated (with a supernatural Stephen King vibe) and I discovered that I couldn't read it late at night. As the mystery began to unfold, the tension ebbed and flowed ever so slightly and I was able to enjoy some of the light humor and tender scenes between Harry (the vicar) and Evi (the psychologist). I would love to see more of them in another book by Bolton.

Speaking of S.J. Bolton (aka Sharon Bolton), I didn't think I had read anything by her, but as I got further into this book, the more I sensed a familiarity to her writing. It turns out I read Awakening in 2011 and while I enjoyed it,  Blood Harvest was much better. It looks like she has seven stand-alone novels, as well as a couple of series. Yay! I'm looking forward to reading more by her.

If you enjoy Gothic mysteries, you'll love Blood Harvest. It's one I won't forget and may even read again in a few years. 

I read Blood Harvest for the RIP XV Challenge.




14 comments:

  1. Bolton's first books were similar to Blood Harvest, atmospheric and frightening. Perfect for RIP! I also like her Lacy Flint series and some of her stand-alones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it really was a perfect read for the RIP challenge. I'm looking forward to reading more by Bolton!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jenclair's thoughts here. I've read a bunch of Bolton's books - love her Lacy Flint series. I'm almost certain that I've read this one, but many years ago. Might be a good one to revisit. I ordered another 'grab-bag' of books from the library and specifically requested 'Gothic', 'haunted house', 'ghosts' and fiction. Think it will be ready today or tomorrow and I'm curious what I'll get this time. I'll probably do a post on it, even though I said I'm 'on a break' - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I may start with the Lacy Flint series. They sound great! Enjoy your library grab-bag. Enjoy your break. :)

      Delete
  3. I love Gothic books when they're done well. There's such a fine line between Gothic melodrama and general cheesiness. I'm glad this one worked for you! I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I don't usually care for Gothic books, but this was really very good! Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. My mother was a huge Gothic novel reader. She would have loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I don't typically care for Gothic novels, but in the hands of this author, I thought it was very compelling.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Jenclair, I do recommend her Lacy Flint series. I have really enjoyed some of her standalone books and would love to read this one. Sounds like the perfect R.I.P. read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, thanks for the recommendation. I have one book remaining in the Louise Penny series and I may dive into Bolton's Lacy Flint series once I've finished that one.

      Delete
  6. I loved Bolton’s first 3 books, which include this one. The Lacy Flint books.. not as much. I read The Craftsman last October; it was a serial killer book that definitely did not go where I expected it to. Creepy, with the supernatural angle she does so well. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Anne. I'll definitely look for The Craftsman!

      Delete
  7. I've never read her either but this looks like one my husband and I would both like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, this was a great read. I'm still thinking about it and look forward to reading more by Bolton. I hope you and your husband enjoy it.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!