October 3, 2020

Elevation

 



Fiction
2018 Scribner
Finished on September 30, 2020
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

Although Scott Carey doesn’t look any different, he’s been steadily losing weight. There are a couple of other odd things, too. He weighs the same in his clothes and out of them, no matter how heavy they are. Scott doesn’t want to be poked and prodded. He mostly just wants someone else to know, and he trusts Doctor Bob Ellis.

In the small town of Castle Rock, the setting of many of King’s most iconic stories, Scott is engaged in a low grade—but escalating—battle with the lesbians next door whose dog regularly drops his business on Scott’s lawn. One of the women is friendly; the other, cold as ice. Both are trying to launch a new restaurant, but the people of Castle Rock want no part of a gay married couple, and the place is in trouble. When Scott finally understands the prejudices they face–including his own—he tries to help. Unlikely alliances, the annual foot race, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction bring out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.

The last time I picked up a Stephen King novel was in 2014 when I read 11/22/63. It's a great book, especially for those who enjoy speculative fiction or time travel stories. I wish I could say the same of Elevation, which I initially borrowed from the library for my husband, but decided to add to my RIP XV reading challenge stack. This small volume is more of a novella and can be easily read in one sitting, for which I was thankful; I doubt I would have continued, had it been any longer. It started out fine, and I was curious about what evil forces could be causing Scott's unnatural weight loss, but after a couple of chapters, I felt it was too trite and sappy, as if Nicholas Sparks and Mitch Albom had gotten together to write a horror story. When it's time to compile my year-end summary, Elevation will go down as the weirdest book I've read since Aimee Bender's bizarre novel, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

I read Elevation for the RIP XV Challenge.


16 comments:

  1. Had to laugh at the comparison to Nicholas Spark and Mitch Albom, both of whom were off my lists after one book. I know many people love them, but "trite and sappy" as you put it, describes my feelings as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I did like Tuesdays With Morrie, but can't bring myself to read his novels. I think I may have tried one and quit early on. I believe I've only read one or two of Sparks' books, but that was back in the day when I was reading Danielle Steele. ;)

      Delete
  2. Sorry it didn't work for you. I still need to read 11/22/63 sometime. My husband loved it back then. I don't read King much but heard it was wonderful. I will pass on Elevation ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, 11/22/63 is huge, but very good! It was one of the rare times that I used my Nook to read an ebook. That chunkster was far too big to read in bed, so the ebook was perfect. I've read quite a few winners by King. This post is a little dated, but if you need suggestions, take a peek.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like King is revisiting his book Thinner, which he published as Richard Bachman. I rated that one star. I generally do like King but when he's off, he's really off.

    The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake was an odd one, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I have not read Thinner and probably won't, based on your rating! Yes, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake was very strange.

      Delete
  4. I’ve not read this one yet but I did laugh at your Sparks comment, imagine him doing horror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, happy to give you a chuckle! :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry you didn't enjoy Elevation. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, a couple of my friends loved it, but it just wasn't for me. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. That's a low rating for a Stephen King book. I'm sorry it was disappointing. At least it was short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm glad it was short, although maybe if it had been longer, it might have had more depth and character development.

      Delete
  7. I don't know how I ever missed Elevation. I bought it when it came out and then... Your description cracks me up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, since it's such a quick read, I say go ahead and read it, especially since you already bought it. You may enjoy it more than I did!

      Delete
  8. Haha... Well I don't think your intention was to recommend this but with your description about the co-author then I almost want to read this! This is one I will probably skip for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, a lot of readers enjoyed it, but it wasn't for me!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!