November 10, 2020

A Field of Darkness

 


Madeline Dare #1
Mystery
2007 Grand Central Publishing (first published in 2006)
Finished on November 6, 2020
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Madeline Dare isn't your average detective. Born into a blue-blood family, she followed her heart to marry ruggedly handsome Dean, a farmboy-genius investor who's as far from high society as humanly possible. Now Maddie's stuck in the post-industrial wasteland of Syracuse, New York, while her husband spends weeks on the road perfecting the railway equipment innovation that might be their only chance to escape. She can handle churning out lightweight features for the local paper--it's the Dean-less nights in their dingy, WASP-castoff-crammed apartment that Maddie can't stomach. Obsession trumps angst when a set of long-buried dog tags link her favorite cousin to the scene of a vicious double homicide. Drawn by the desire to clear her cousin's name, Maddie uncovers a startling web of intrigue and family secrets that could prove even more deadly.

I have no idea when or why I picked up this book, but it turned out to be a winner. My first impressions weren't very positive and I felt the author was working too hard at being literary, but once I got immersed in the story, I no longer felt that way and couldn't stop reading. There were times when I found Maddie's sudden role as a crime reporter a bit far-fetched, but I was willing to ignore that and felt the tension of her involvement mounting and had me holding my breath on several occasions as I worried about her safety. This is a solid debut mystery with well-developed characters, believable dialogue, a plot that kept me guessing and a denouement that quickened my pulse. And that part about Cornelia Read trying too hard at being literary? I was wrong, although the reviews are mixed on that point.

I'm looking forward to reading The Crazy School (Madeline Dare #2) and am happy to see that there are a total of four books in this series.

I read A Field of Darkness for the RIP XV Challenge.





6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I hadn't heard of the book or author but now making it a note of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, there are so many writers out there and I'm always happy to discover one who hasn't received a lot of press. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with this series, but isn't it great to find a book that you enjoy and have the security of knowing there are more--and you don't have to wait for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it's wonderful to find a new (to me) series that doesn't have a huge backlist, but still enough to provide me with future entertainment. I'm really looking forward to reading the second book by Read.

      Delete
  3. I've had this book on my TBR for a while. I can't remember how I first heard of it but I know I've been meaning to read it. So glad to hear it ended up being a good start to a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll be interested to hear if you like it as much as I did!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!