December 30, 2020

Nonfiction November Reading Challenge Results

 


I knew this was an ambitious selection for the Nonfiction November reading challenge, but I thought that by extending it into December, I'd be able to read most of these books. And yet, with the distraction of the election, my husband's shoulder surgery, Thanksgiving and preparing for Christmas I only managed to finish five from this shelf. I gave up on three others and still have four remaining. I don't mind the lower numbers, but I do mind the low ratings. While none of the five I finished were winners, I am glad I finally got around to reading them. 



Books Read (click on link for review):

Educated by Tara Westover (2/5)

Under a Wing by Reeve Lindbergh (2/5)

Once Upon a Town by Bob Greene (3/5)

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson (3/5)

Howard's End is on the Landing by Susan Hill (3/5)

Books Abandoned:

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl by Susan McCorkindale

Name All the Animals by Alison Smith

Saved for Future Reading:

Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance

The Longest Road by Philip Caputo

Jacob's Room is Full of Books by Susan Hill



10 comments:

  1. Glad that you got to finish a few of them, though sorry that they weren't better books for you. I keep thinking I need to read Isaac's Storm, but I'm not pushing myself to read non-fic right now. One day - maybe later in 2021 - maybe never! Ha! You've had a lot on your plate for the last few weeks. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, if anything, it was nice to clear several backlist titles from my shelves. I'm a fiction-lover at heart, but every now and then I enjoy reading nonfiction. I prefer memoirs over history, but in spite of the ho-hum ratings, I'm glad I read Once Upon a Town and Isaac's Storm.

      Delete
  2. Sorry not a stellar non-fiction experience for 2020. I didn't care for Educated either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it has certainly made me look forward to getting back to fiction!

      Delete
  3. Well although you didn't complete it, I think you did really well! The real bummer is of course that they weren't better reads. Anyway, here's a new year and hopefully filled with good books and especially with good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I would have been stunned if I was able to read all of those books in two months. November and December are typically my slowest reading months, so I'm quite pleased with my results. Yeah, they weren't stellar reads, but I'm glad I finally read them.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. Resolved: don't make resolutions. Don't make lists of commitments. Do what feels good in the moment. At least that's my philosophy.

    And be safe and well in 2021... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I don't participate in very many reading challenges, but I enjoy those that I do because they help motivate me to read some of the books that have been lingering in my stacks for years. I don't hesitate to give up on the books that aren't working for me, so the challenges don't feel like assigned reading.

      Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  5. I did love Midnight in the garden years ago when I read it, but like most things, timing is everything. This election nonsense has affected my mental health and, in turn, my reading, so to get 5 done is an accomplishment in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I wonder if it was a case of timing. Oh, well. I have plenty of other books to read!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!