January 1, 2021

A Month in Summary - December 2020 (and Happy New Year!)

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
December 2020


What. A. Year.

Who knew that on January 1, 2020 we would be heading into such an agonizing year. 

The pandemic: Social distancing, masks, hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer, sheltering in place and quarantining, Zoom happy hour and distance learning, singing from balconies, grocery deliveries and take-out, streaming movies and TV series, baking bread, doomscrolling, but most sadly, more than 342,000 Americans dead.

George Floyd's death and the subsequent protests across the nation.

Wildfires burning across most of the western states.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death.

The presidential election (and the post-election drama from the White House).

Rod's bike accident and shoulder replacement surgery.

My mom's emergency hospitalization and surgery for a umbilical hernia.

Oh, and let's not forget the murder hornets. ;)

On the positive side, I am grateful for:

Safe travel (nearby) in our RV.

Celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary.

Biden and Harris win!

A healthy household (surgeries aside!).

My Peloton and great workouts.

Weekly Mah Jong games (outdoors) with my "pod."

Game nights with my mom and Rod.

Curbside pickup at the library.

The L.A. Dodgers win the World Series.

Financial security.

Zoom visits with friends and family.


Discovering some great TV series.

Book club via Zoom.

Puzzles.

My overflowing shelves of unread books.

Audiobooks.

Take-out from favorite restaurants.

My blogmates.


Living in a semi-secluded area on the Oregon coast.

Walks in the forest and on the coastal path.

I am hopeful that 2021 will bring more joy than worry, more time with family and friends, zero trips to the Emergency Room, and more road trips with my husband.

Adios 2020. 

Now, on to my December summary!

Books Read (click on the title for my review):

Once Upon a Town by Bob Greene (3/5)

The Rural Life by Verlyn Klinkenborg (3/5)

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins (5/5)

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson (3/5)

Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill (2/5)

On Interstate 80, three or four hours into the long westward drive across Nebraska, with the sun hovering mercilessly in the midsummer sky on a cloudless and broiling July afternoon, there were moments when I thought there was no way I'd ever find what I had come here to seek:

The best America there ever was. Or at least whatever might be left of it. (Once Upon a Town)

Every year about now, I feel the need to keep a journal. (A Rural Life)

One of the very first bullets comes in through the open window above the toilet where Luca is standing. (American Dirt)

Throughout the night of Friday, September 7, 1900, Isaac Monroe Cline found himself waking to a persistent sense of something gone wrong. (Isaac's Storm)

It began like this. I went to the shelves on the landing to look for a book I knew was there. It was not. But plenty of others were and among them I noticed at least a dozen I realised I had never read. (Howards End is on the Landing)

Movies & TV Series:


The Undoing - Wow. Great series. The last episode was very suspenseful! Kidman, Grant and Sutherland are all excellent. 


The Crown - This season rather depressing, but Olivia Colman is still great to watch.


The Missing - A good series with lots of red herrings. Kept me guessing!


Baptiste - We enjoyed this one a lot.  Tcheky Karyo is marvelous!


Wonder Woman 1984 - A silly, loooong, superhero movie that missed its mark. 


The Midnight Sky - We didn't love this one. Somewhat predictable and on a few occasions utterly implausible, wrapped up with a manipulative ending... Caoilinn Springall (Iris) made it worthwhile. Probably should've read the book instead.


Away - Watched the first episode and probably won't watch any more.

Puzzlemania:



This was probably the most challenging puzzle we've done! I think we'll stick to 500-1000 piece puzzles from here on out.



Another challenging puzzle!



I love Charley Harper puzzles from Pomegranate Puzzles! The colors are great and this one was very easy due to the oversize pieces. We finished it in one day.


Spotted this cute little guy as we were driving through Philomath on our way home from a post-op appointment in Albany. You can read about DAX here


A beautiful homemade Christmas bouquet from a friend.



I wish you all a safe and healthy 2021!

22 comments:

  1. Les, you gave a great summary of the year above and also I'm glad you came up with so many things to be thankful for. Wishing you and Rod and Andi a very Happy New Year! Out with 2020 and on with 2021. I'm happy to be trying to shift my focus to some more peaceful things and will actively work at that goal. Our girl getting her first vaccine shot this week was a load off my mind and she said that other than some soreness in her arm, all was well. She called on her way home from work this morning and said they had their first 2021 baby arrive at 2:40 this morning. And life goes on. Take care. Enjoy your books and puzzles and Pelaton and I'm hoping that you guys will get to take some trips later in the year. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! It's so easy to name all the bad things about 2020, but I also believe strongly in finding the good. I found that once I started listing the positives, I couldn't stop!

      I am so glad Sam got her first vaccine. I have a niece and a stepsister (both nurses) who just got theirs, which is a huge relief. I hope it won't be too, too long before my mom and Rod get theirs, but it will probably be this spring or early summer. I have no idea when I'll get mine, but I plan to! Yes, life goes on, doesn't it? Happy, happy New Year to you and Hayden. Maybe we'll see you this summer. xoxo

      Delete
  2. You had lots of difficulties this year, Les, but you also had lots of wonderful things, too. This has been a year of appreciating having a huge TBR, curbside at my library, and all our wonderful blogmates.

    Love the puzzles, too, Les.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, these past few months I've been working on finding the good in my life. 2020 was full of so much fear and anger, but I feel so fortunate to be right where I am, doing what makes me happy while staying safe. Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Les! I can't remember where I stumbled across your blog recently, but I'm glad I did. Nature and books are two of my passions as well. You wrapped up 2020 in fine style. Your post reminded me of the jar I keep on a shelf above my desk. Each week, I write down something specific that I'm thankful for and put the slip of paper in the jar. At year's end, I open the jar and read all the slips. I've been doing this for about five years now, and it really helps keep me focused on the important things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy. I glanced through the list of blogs that you follow and it could be one of many that led you to mine! You follow a lot of bloggers! A few stood out (Nan - Letters from a Hill Farm; JoAnn - Gulfside Musing; Diane - Bibliophile By the Sea), but who knows. In any case, welcome and thanks for commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed this post and I like the idea of a gratitude jar. I try to remember to jot down a few things I'm grateful for at the end of the day (in my daytimer), but a gratitude jar might be fun. Thanks again for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  4. WOW, loved this post and always enjoy seeing those terrific puzzles. I loved The Undoing miniseries as well. We just started a new series called Transplant which is awesome. It's on NBC and Peacock and is about a doctor from Syria at a Canadian hospital. It's SO GOOD. Hope 2021 is a better year for you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. This one was rather long, but I enjoy sharing my monthly activities and it's nice to have to reflect back on as the years pass. Wasn't The Undoing good?! Thanks for the recommendation for Transplant. We'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this post. So many difficult things but loved how you also pointed out some really good ones. While this pandemic has surely been hell I have to keep remember all the good things. I've taken note of some of the shows you've listed and want to try them out. Wishing you a year filled with joy and health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Iliana. I have so much fun putting together these month end posts and enjoy reading through them after a few years. I've never done so many puzzles in my life since moving to Oregon! :) And yes, it's always good to look for the positives in life, especially right now. Take good care!

      Delete
  6. Wow beautiful Xmas tree! Those puzzles look killer hard. I did 2 this year ... and those were tough. Your list of Bad & Good this year ... were Whoa. It was not a good year ... for a lot you both went through ... but you did your best & rolled with the punches. You came through it! I'm glad you got the Peloton bike ....one of the best things for one's wellness. I wish you two a much better year in 2021. & great reading too. We liked the Undoing series and The Crown too. stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. It's my mom's little Christmas tree and she did a great job decorating it with all her beautiful ornaments. We usually put ours up in the living room and the little one in the dinning room, but we decided to keep things simple this year. We do a lot of puzzles all year long, but that 1500 piece was really challenging. We've started a few that we wound up quitting and I've discovered I really prefer those that don't have a lot of sky, water or grass! :) Yes, it was a pretty rough year for many, wasn't it? It always helps to look for the good, though. I try to stay positive! The Peloton continues to be a great mode of exercise. Lately, I've been using the scenic rides instead of classes and I'm really enjoying all the different routes I've taken. The other day I rode in France and yesterday I rode up to Hurricane Ridge and the Hoh Rain Forest. It gives armchair travel a whole new meaning! Take good care.

      Delete
  7. Loved your year in review. I hope your family health issues will be in the rearview mirror this year. I started listening to Conversations with RBG yesterday and I bet you'd like it. We made it through maybe 4 episodes of Away, but haven't seen your others. Seeing your puzzles makes me want to head the the table and pull one out! Love the Christmas tree. Of your list financial security is the one thing I am most thankful for every single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Stacy. Glad to hear you are enjoying Conversations with RBG. It's high on my list. I hope you'll share pictures of any puzzles you work on. They are quite addictive and even more fun if you have a good audiobook to listen to while you work. Take care!

      Delete
  8. What a great wrap-up. You made 2020 look fun.

    I have yet to see The Undoing because we don't get HBO Max but I've been having fun with Cobra Kai, Season Three and oldish movies like My Father the Hero. We watched that one last night and had a good laugh. I'd seen it before but my daughter hadn't so that was fun.

    My reading is starting off slow this year but the hub goes back to work tomorrow so I think I will pick up my pace soon. I can't read when he is here all the time. He gets bored and wants to take a drive or something.

    How is Rod's shoulder doing?

    I am catching up on blog reading in the dark right now but gazing out the window and the sky is a beautiful blue with pink clouds. We are set to get some more rain on Tuesday. I can't complain. The weather has been lovely and we so need the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ti. I suppose if we all look deep enough, we can find some good memories about 2020. Thanks for asking about Rod's shoulder. It seems to be healing well and he has PT twice a week for the next couple of months. He has another post-op visit with his surgeon tomorrow, so we'll find out more then. I wish I could send you some of our rain! We've had so much, with dangerously gusty winds, and I'm ready for a long break from it. Enjoy your empty house. :)

      Delete
  9. I appreciate your honesty about the immense difficulties of 2020, and your gratitude for all that was positive. When you put it in list form, your year seems rich and full and satisfying, despite the many challenges! Wishing you and Rod and your mom all the best in this coming year. I know you cultivate a positive attitude, but it would also be nice to have a few less challenges, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel. I began this post with so much negativity that I quickly decided to see if I could balance it out with some gratitude. Once I started that list, I couldn't stop! It will certainly be a year that none of us will ever forget! I would be very content with a boring 2021.

      Delete
  10. Just love this post! 2020 was the most horrible year, but it's important to remember the positives, too. For us it was the unexpected, extended time spent with our adult daughters. I think we'll all cherish those memories.

    I was glad to read your review of American Dirt! Decided not to read it during all the controversy, but it's back on my tbr list now. Sorry your other books were nothing special though. My reading mojo seems to be returning (at last!) and I'm hopeful blogging will follow.

    On to 2021...all the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thank you, JoAnn. I was worried it was too long! :) Yes, there were some positives in such an terrible year and I'm glad you were able to spend so much time with your girls.

      I think you'll like American Dirt and will keep an eye out for your review. I'm hoping to read more high-rating books this year, but you just never know. I think I was a bit more harsh with my ratings (trying to get away from the half-points) than I usually am, but I've always been pretty stingy with those 5-star books. I'm hoping to get my year-end summary up later today, which reveals quite an even split between the good and the bad, in spite of quitting on more than usual. Looking forward to seeing you around the blogosphere more this year! :) xoxo

      Delete
  11. My husband and I are up to episode 8 of Away and at this point we're only watching it because we're so close to the end. It's so very implausible. The dynamics among the astronauts are so fractious! It's like they never met before they got sent to Mars! And the drama on Earth too? It's just too much. I heard someone describe it as "This Is Us" set in space and that seems apt from what I know of the other show (I haven't watched it and don't intend to).

    I've also heard elsewhere that WW1984 is disappointing. What a shame. I really enjoyed the first one.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, you've convinced me to skip any further episodes of Away. I had to laugh when you mentioned This Is Us. I've been watching that show for over a year and am to the point where I'm ready to quit, but I'm close to finishing, so... It started out really well, but now. Meh.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!