February 4, 2021

A Month in Summary - January 2021

Depoe Bay, Oregon
January 2021


In some ways it feels likes January flew past, but it also feels like New Year's Day was a long time ago. There was the Insurrection in Washington, DC on the 6th (which was horrifying) and the Inauguration on the 20th (which was uplifting and, thankfully, peaceful) and now we patiently wait for the green light to get our vaccines. My mom and my husband will get theirs in the next few weeks, but I'll have to wait a bit longer since I'm still in my 50s.

I finished three books before the end of the first week (which I started in December) and was on a roll for the rest of the month.  Not surprisingly, Louise Penny's latest mystery was my favorite, although my reread of Pigs in Heaven wasn't far behind.



Books Read (click on the title for my review):

The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms (2/5)

Kindred by Octavia Butler (3/5)

The Fireman by Joe Hill (3/5)

All the Devils Are Here by Louise Penny (5/5)

The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner (3/5)

Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver (4/5)

The Daughters of Erietown by Connie Schultz (4/5)

First Lines:

Dear Mom, So here's the thing. And I know you're going to make some weird big deal out of it because you're a mom and a nerd and you can't help yourself. You're going to make it, like, into a Facebook meme and then needlepoint it onto a pillow because you're crazy. But whatever, here it is: you were right. (The Overdue Life of Amy Byler)

The trouble began long before June 9, 1976, when I became aware of it, but June 9 is the day I remember. It was my twenty-sixth birthday. It was also the day I met Rufus--the day he called me to him for the first time. (Kindred)

Harper Grayson had seen lots of people burn on TV, everyone had, but the first person she saw burn for real was in the playground behind the school. (The Fireman)

"Hell is empty, Armand," said Stephen Horowitz. 

"You've mentioned that. And all the devils are here?" asked Armand Gamache. (All the Devils Are Here)

A brooding heat permeates the tight space of the barn loft, no larger than three strides by four. The boards are rough-hewn and splintery and the rafters run at sharp slants, making the pitch too low for Roza to stand anywhere but in the center. Silken webs wad the corners and thin shards of sunlight bleed through cracks. Otherwise it is dark. (The Yellow Bird Sings)

Women on their own run in Alice's family. This dawns on her with the unkindness of a heart attack and she sits up in bed to get a closer look at her thoughts, which have collected above her in the dark. (Pigs in Heaven)

Samantha McGinty pressed her cheek against the cold window and exhaled slowly to cloud the glass. She glanced at the back of her father's head in the front seat before lifting her finger to write in big block letters: LUCKY.  (The Daughters of Erietown)

Movies & TV Series:
 

My Octopus Teacher - This is the perfect documentary to pair with The Soul of an Octopus. Fascinating creatures! Highly recommend.


The Missing (Season 2) - This nonlinear thriller requires your full attention! The first episode was very confusing, but we enjoyed the show.

The Art of Racing in the Rain - I loved this book, but the movie was a little too sappy. 


News of the World - Another book to movie, which fell short of my expectations. Hanks and his young costar were very good, though!


The Bay - We watched all of Season One and the first three available episodes of Season Two. Very good! Recommend.


The Dig - This quiet film was lovely. Highly recommend.


Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Frances McDormand is excellent in this dark comedy/drama. Highly recommend.

Puzzlemania:




Only one puzzle this month, but it was fun! I love Edward Gorey's artwork.

In the Kitchen:


My mom gave me a new kitchen gadget and I'm in love! I've used it for pork tenderloin and beef filets and the results were outstanding. I think the steak was the best I've ever had. The sous vide cooked them to a perfect medium rare pink and the meat was extremely tender and flavorful. Click here for more information about sous vide cooking. 



Lastly, I finally got my haircut! I hadn't been to the hair salon since February and my stylist took off about 6 inches. It feels wonderful. :)

Stay safe, wear your masks, and hang in there, my friends. Spring is just around the corner!

22 comments:

  1. I am glad to see that the Kingsolver novel held up, but I think I'd hoped for more from Kindred. I have Parable of the Sower in my TBR, and maybe that will be better.

    I'm also sad to see that News of the World was disappointing. I've been looking forward to seeing that.

    I've been trimming my own hair (!) so I'm also eagerly looking forward to a return (someday) to the salon. My hairdresser takes no precautions, so I think I shall have to find a new one.

    My husband got me an impossible puzzle for Christmas, so I've been trying to get up enough courage to take it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, maybe my expectations were too high for Kindred. I'd heard great things about it for many years. News of the World is worth watching for Tom Hanks and Helena Zengel but the book is better. Good for you to be able to cut your own hair, but what a shame that your hairdresser doesn't take any precautions against COVID. I was very impressed with mine and felt quite safe. We received a couple of difficult-looking puzzles this Christmas, too. Personally, I prefer the type with a lot of detail and color variations. A pure blue sky or green grass or mountains makes my eyes swim!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for a haircut! I'm (almost) desperate enough to let my husband take a few inches off the bottom. January was such a strange, long month but I'm hoping February will be more steady. I could do without all the highs and lows!

    Just added My Octopus Teacher to my Netflix queue. We have the Bailey Matthews National Shell Museum here on the island and their latest attraction is an octopus tank. They opened the exhibit just prior to the the shutdown last March... I'm still waiting to see it.

    Love the book cover puzzle... and you got a sous vide! A friend got one last year and she raves about it. I'll admit to being tempted, but I don't even have an InstaPot yet. My next treat/kitchen gadget may be an air fryer. I keep coming across recipes that would be fun to try.

    Hope February brings you lots of good books, and I hope that Rod and your mother can get the vaccine soon. My FIL and SIL got their first doses last week. We're still trying to get an appointment for my husband, but I'm not eligible yet. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it felt so good to finally get my haircut. After seeing the precautions taken at the salon, I won't wait quite so long for my next cut. I think you'll enjoy My Octopus Teacher. Our local aquarium has an octopus tank, too. I could watch them for hours! Personally, I'd skip the Instant Pot and go straight for the air fryer and sous vide. You'll have to let me know how you like an air fryer. I really don't know anything about them. February reading is already starting off well. I've reread a mystery (planning to get into the full series this year) and am enjoying a backlist title that's been lurking on my shelf for years. I'm glad your FIL and SIL got their vaccines and hope your husband gets his soon, too. You take care, too!

      Delete
  3. Great book list! I have read the Barbara Kingsolver novels about Turtle and her life, though not for a long time. I read Kindred recently and really thought it was great. I'm a fan of Edward Gorey, so I like your puzzle. Looks like a good month-- considering everything we are struggling with.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. I think my expectations were set too high for Kindred. We've done a couple of Edward Gorey puzzles this past year and they're a lot of fun. Great detail in both. Hope all is well with you. Take care!

      Delete
  4. I've read and enjoyed the top 3 books in your collage and have Kindred on my TBR list as well. Your pic/haircut looks great. I've been cutting my husband's hair and he told me it's the best haircut he's had LOL - I highly doubt that as he has beautiful white silky hair and has always been a hair-fanatic LOL. He did get his first COVID vaccine yesterday and has part 2 scheduled for 3/3 as well. I won't be eligible until March if all goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'll be eager to hear what you think of Kindred. It was good, but not the outstanding read I'd been looking forward to. Ha! I don't dare cut my husband's hair. It's curly and I wouldn't know the first thing about how to cut it. Hooray for your husband's first COVID vaccine!! I have no idea when I'll be eligible, but I hope my mom and husband get theirs in the next few weeks. Take care!

      Delete
  5. Sharon11:22 AM

    I have the Connie Schultz book on my reserve list. She lives in my hometown and we love her husband as our Ohio Senator. I read the Kelly Harms book and had similar thoughts.

    I have the other Edward Gorey puzzle but not the one you showed.

    We loved The Dig too. Such a quiet thoughtful film. Good to know it isn't worth paying to stream Map of the World. I'll get on the long list for it at the library. Where are you streaming The Bay from? It looks good.

    I vacillate on the Instapot. My daughter uses hers all the time but I look at it as another appliance to store and clean 🙄.

    Your hair looks great! I have been getting mine cut wearing a mask.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'll bet you enjoy The Daughters of Erietown. I've only been to Ohio once (Cleveland - for a small book conference).

      Yes, The Dig was a quiet, contemplative film. I find that I'm still thinking about it. We are watching The Bay on Amazon Prime. It's very good!

      Thanks for your nice words about my hair. It had gotten so long! (I wore a mask while getting it cut, as did the stylist.) I'm very happy with it, although there's a lot more gray than there used to be. ;)

      Delete
  6. First of all, that puzzle looks like a lot of fun and I'm not even a puzzle person. Well, except in books. Ha! Bet you were glad to get the haircut. I've got my monthly appointment tomorrow and will get mine trimmed. My husband does his own out on the back porch. He had begun getting the 'buzz cut' a number of years ago, but now just 'buzzes' it himself and it's fine. His mother is the only one who doesn't like it, though he says it's exactly as it was when he was a little boy and she took him to the barber. Ha! Great that Rod and your Mom will be getting their first vaccines. My in-laws now have appointments. Enjoy your reading and puzzling and exercise and, and....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, it was a fun puzzle! Gorey has some great artwork. Yes, I was very glad to get my haircut. I definitely won't wait another year to get the next cut. Probably 2-3 months. Nice that your hubby can cut his own. Mine is due to get his cut again. It's getting to that wide stage. ;)

      Delete
  7. Looking great friend! I haven't been to a salon in a year now! I don't go that often but I was planning to go in March last year and then the pandemic hit. Grr.. Finally I let my husband cut my hair and I've had so many compliments! Then again people only see me on zoom so hopefully mistakes are not that noticeable :) Love the puzzle you guys put together. And, I'm taking note of the tv/movie recs - especially The Bay. I love crime shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Iliana. It was so nice to get my haircut. I'll probably go again in late spring. Oooh, The Bay is really good. I hope they continue past Season 2.

      Delete
  8. Love the puzzle! The Gorey book covers are fascinating. :) I may want to see News of the World at some point, but not now. I've discussed this with my husband and best friend--they want to see it now, and I'm not ready to disrupt my own images from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, the puzzle was great fun. As far as News of the World, I'll bet I would have enjoyed it much better if I had waited a few more years. The book was still too fresh in my mind!

      Delete
  9. You look lovely! We've been getting haircuts on the porch every couple of months from our local stylist—she's kind enough to make house calls and we wear masks, and so does she. But I haven't low-lighted my hair in a year and I was shocked to discover how much gray I doubt I'll go back to coloring it.
    The Dig has been on our list...in fact, I think we'll watch it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your stylist makes house calls! I feel quite safe inside my stylist's salon since she's in one room with me and the other stylist is in the other room. Only 1 customer per stylist at any given time. Temps taken, hands washed or sanitized, both of us wearing masks the entire time. I was in and out in 40 minutes and felt that it was safer than going into the grocery store. I'd love to get highlights later this spring, but I may wait until I've had both vaccines (which probably won't be until fall, given my age).

      Hope you enjoyed The Dig. It was a quiet movie, but we really liked it.

      Delete
  10. You look fab! I desperately need a haircut that I’ve considered just cutting it myself but as it’s down to my chest at the moment it could go horribly wrong!

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Heather. It really felt great to get my hair cut!

      Delete
  11. Oh nice on the hair! Looks great. It feels great once it's done, doesn't it? Good job with the puzzle, what a cool design; how do you find these? You had a good reading month too. You've been on a Roll lately. We liked the Neflix movie The Dig too ... it gave me something to think about and it's based on a true story. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Yes, it feels wonderful to have a nice haircut. I definitely won't wait another year to go back. :) We usually get our puzzles from three online companies (Liberty, Wentworth, and Pomegranate), but we also swap with a few of our neighbors. This one was borrowed from a friend and it was a lot of fun. Yes, I have been on a roll with my reading! I finished three books the other day and have started three more (one ebook, one audiobook and one in print). We're in the middle of the rainy season, so I guess that's why I'm able to read so many more than usual. Oh, that and the pandemic. ;) Enjoy your beautiful weather. I'm envious of those 70-degree temps!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!