February 7, 2021

A Share in Death


 
Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #1
Mystery
1993 Scribner
Finished on February 2, 2021
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

A week's holiday in a luxurious Yorkshire time-share is just what Scotland Yard's Superintendent Duncan Kincaid needs. But the discovery of a body floating in the whirlpool bath ends Kincaid's vacation before it's begun. One of his new acquaintances at Followdale House is dead; another is a killer. Despite a distinct lack of cooperation from the local constabulary, Kincaid's keen sense of duty won't allow him to ignore the heinous crime, impelling him to send for his enthusiastic young assistant, Sergeant Gemma James. But the stakes are raised dramatically when a second murder occurs, and Kincaid and James find themselves in a determined hunt for a fiendish felon who enjoys homicide a bit too much.

Having recently finished all of the books in Louise Penny's Three Pines series, I decided it was time to pick up another series to read throughout the year. I read A Share in Death almost a decade ago (reviewed here), so I wanted to give it a reread in order to reacquaint myself with the main characters before moving ahead with the series (of which there are 18 books!). While I had a vague recollection of the set up, the specific details of the murders were all forgotten. The book was just as enjoyable as the first time and I'm eager to start All Shall Be Well. 

14 comments:

  1. I've followed Kincaid and James for years. So long, in fact, that I've forgotten the first few books. I might enjoy re-reading some again, especially as you found the first book as satisfying as your first reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I was surprised that I didn't remember more about this first book, but it was nice to try to figure out the mystery and reacquaint myself with Duncan and Gemma.

      Delete
  2. Crombie is a long-time favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, several of my friends have said the same thing, so I'm eager to get further along in this series!

      Delete
  3. This series is a good one! I didn't realize there were that many books though. I can't remember where I've left off but I should pick one up again. I do remember that her hardcover books usually have really beautiful and detailed maps on the inside covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I've been hearing about Crombie for years, thanks to our friend, Kay. :) Most of my books in this series are paperbacks, but maybe I'll take a peek at the hardcovers next time I'm able to go inside a library!

      Delete
  4. I am reading a book right that opens with a dead body too. The Distant Dead. I like these types of reads now and then. I am not much into series though. I used to be when all those Girl with a Dragon Tattoo books came out. I find that I lose interest pretty quickly these days.

    I hope you are well and that the week treats you kindly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I haven't heard of The Distant Dead, but will look it up on Goodreads. Ah, the Girl With a Dragon Tattoo series was soooo good! I really enjoyed those books and the movies.

      We're doing well, although it's a little colder here than I would like. At least we're not in the Midwest where the temps are subzero today. I won't complain (too much) about our low 30s.

      Delete
  5. I love a series. I know some folks say they don't like the idea of a commitment with series butt I feel that I'll be reading anyway, plus it's cool to see the development of regular characters.

    Definitely will be checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, my friend Kay has been raving about this series for many, many years and I'm glad to finally make time to settle into the mysteries. The first book was a quick read and I'm reading to begin #2 later this month.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful that you found this book to be just as enjoyable this time. And now you have a new series to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I was so surprised that I didn't remember much about the mystery! I've started the second in the series and know it's going to be a winner, as well. It's nice to have a backlist to dive into rather than have to wait for the publication of each new installment.

      Delete
  7. I used to go on holiday to Yorkshire when I was younger, I love it as a book setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, lucky you! I would love to visit Yorkshire some day!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!