April 30, 2021

Looking Back - A New Song

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



A New Song by Jan Karon
Mitford Series #5
Fiction
2000 Penguin Books (first published in 1999)
Finished on May 2, 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In A New Song, Mitford's longtime Episcopal priest, Father Tim, retires. However, new challenges and adventures await when he agrees to serve as interim minister of a small church on Whitecap Island. He and his wife, Cynthia, soon find that Whitecap has its own unforgettable characters: a church organist with a mysterious past, a lovelorn bachelor placing personal ads, a mother battling paralyzing depression. They also find that Mitford is never far away when circumstances "back home" keep their phone ringing off the hook. In this fifth novel of the beloved series, fans old and new will discover that a trip to Mitford and Whitecap is twice as good for the soul.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Great entertainment! I didn't find it as humorous as the previous books in this series, but I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the next book!

My Current Thoughts:

I still have most of these books on my shelf with plans to eventually reread them. I've only reread At Home in Mitford, so I have a ways to go before I get to this one.

10 comments:

  1. I remember reading a few of these way back when, of course, now they would no longer interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not sure they would hold my interest at this point in my life. I reread #1 and it was just ok.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed several books in the series which my aunt loaned me years ago. I dreaded reading them and then was surprised at how much I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I was also surprised that I enjoyed them so well. Father Tim, Cynthia and Dooley are such memorable characters! Oh, and Barnabas! ;)

      Delete
  3. I read At Home in Mitford when I was pretty young. I think I'd appreciate it more now. I do recall enjoying it then but never did read more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I think I read six or seven in the series, but the first ones were the best. Lots of laugh out loud moments!

      Delete
  4. I have only read At Home in Mitford, but I found it quite enjoyable. It's the book I recommend to someone who wants a pleasant, light read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you're right. It's a very pleasant, light read. Perfect recommendation for someone looking for a comfort read.

      Delete
  5. These were really quaint and charming books. I only read maybe 3-4 and never got to where Father Tim retired. Maybe one day I'll check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, that's a perfect description of this series. I wonder if I'll get bored if I ever go back to reread anymore.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!