April 25, 2021

Mourn Not Your Dead

 



Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #4
Mystery
2005 Avon (first published in 1996)
Finished on April 18, 2021
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

An important and powerful policeman has been murdered, bludgeoned to death in his own kitchen. Few in suburban Surrey mourn the violent passing of Division Commander Alastair Gilbert, whose arrogance and cruelty were legendary in his village and in wider police circles -- which only makes the job of Scotland Yard investigators Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James more difficult. And as every discovery reveals another instance of misplaced trust, festering secrets, and murderous rage, they must put aside their own personal feelings for the victim -- and for each other -- in the name of justice and the law.

I liked the first three installments in the Kincaid/James series, but I turned the corner with this fourth book and am now a big fan of Crombie's books. Mourn Not Your Dead is exceptionally good, drawing me in and holding my attention from the opening pages. Duncan and Gemma's roles have solidified and the mystery felt stronger (and less like a "cozy") than the previous books, keeping me guessing until the final chapters. There are 18 books in this series and I can't wait to start in on Dreaming of the Bones. My only complaint is that the mass market editions lack the line drawn maps that are included in the endpapers of each hardcover. I would love to track Duncan and Gemma's movements around England as I read each book, so I may wind up borrowing the hardcover copies from the library.

18 comments:

  1. I'm curious about this series and glad you have enjoyed the first 4. I started reading Ann Cleeves who may readers rave about and loved her writing -- she has several different series. Have you tried her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it's fun to immerse myself in a mystery series and I'm glad this one is better than just good. I haven't read any of Ann Cleeves' books, but I plan to. I did watch a few episodes of Vera and didn't care for it, but maybe the books are better.

      Delete
  2. I am making a note of the author as it is a new series and author for me. Not on Netgalley yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, I'm really enjoying this series and am ready to start in on #5 later this week. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed this series for years, and the maps are one of the big draws. I like the way Duncan and Gemma have advanced through the series.

    I also love Ann Cleeves. My favorite is Vera, and I wouldn't watch the television series because I didn't want any contradictions to my personal views; I also love the Shetland series (wouldn't watch those television versions either); and now I'm getting to know Matthew Venn in her newest series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I'm sorry I've missed out on the maps! I have a few of the hardcovers, but I'd love to take a look at the books I've already read, so I'll have to see if I can get those from the library.

      I'll definitely look into reading Ann Cleeves once I've finished this series. We watched all of the Shetland series, which was very good. Maybe by the time I get to those books, I'll have forgotten the details of the show! ;)

      Delete
  4. I’ve not heard of the series, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I wasn't super impressed with the first few books in the series, but now I'm hooked.

      Delete
  5. Crombie's series has long been one of my favorites-- and one of the few that I keep current on. I agree with you, those maps in the hardcovers are a special treat for us readers.

    As for Cleeves, I love her Vera Stanhope, Shetland, and her newest Two Rivers series. They're getting ready to televise the Two Rivers series, and I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy watching the TV series based on her Vera and Shetland series and have no problems separating page from screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'll definitely have to track down the books at the library so I can take a look at the maps. I also plan to read the Cleeves' series once I'm caught up on this author's books. We did watch Shetland, which we greatly enjoyed.

      Delete
  6. I'd definitely choose the hardcover editions if they have maps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm hoping to track down all of the earlier installments at my library. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  7. I admit I haven't read a mass market paperback in years, ha. But they are handy in the summer for crime novels. I haven't read Crombie yet ... but it seems like her mysteries would be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I rarely ever read mass markets anymore. The print is just a wee bit too small (and the contrast of the pages dull), but over the years I wound up with several books in this series and I can't bring myself to buy the trade copies (or ebooks) to replace them. Yes, Crombie's books are fun and well-written, but like Louise Penny, I don't think she hit her stride until #4.

      Delete
  8. I read the fist of this series a few years ago and liked it well enough. Good to know that it keeps getting better. Makes me more likely to pick up the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I'm struggling a little bit with #5 (Dreaming of the Bones), but I'm not very far into it. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, so I may need to go back and make a list of who's who!

      Delete
  9. Aren't the maps the best? I like this series a lot but have fallen behind. Makes me realize how many mystery series I enjoy which I've fallen behind on. There are a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, well so far I haven't seen any of the maps. Just have heard about them, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of the hardcover copies. It's so easy to fall behind in a mystery series, which is why I'm focusing on one author/series at a time. I like reading one a month and staying involved with the characters.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!