May 21, 2021

Looking Back - Chocolat

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




Fiction
2000 Penguin Group (first published in 1999)
Finished on May 14, 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

When the exotic stranger Vianne Rocher arrives in the old French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique called “La Celeste Praline” directly across the square from the church, Father Reynaud identifies her as a serious danger to his flock. It is the beginning of Lent: the traditional season of self-denial. The priest says she’ll be out of business by Easter.

To make matters worse, Vianne does not go to church and has a penchant for superstition. Like her mother, she can read Tarot cards. But she begins to win over customers with her smiles, her intuition for everyone’s favourites, and her delightful confections. Her shop provides a place, too, for secrets to be whispered, grievances aired. She begins to shake up the rigid morality of the community. Vianne’s plans for an Easter Chocolate Festival divide the whole community. Can the solemnity of the Church compare with the pagan passion of a chocolate éclair?

For the first time, here is a novel in which chocolate enjoys its true importance, emerging as an agent of transformation. Rich, clever, and mischievous, reminiscent of a folk tale or fable, this is a triumphant read with a memorable character at its heart.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Don't read this book if you're hungry! My mouth didn't stop watering the entire time I was reading it. Entertaining.

My Current Thoughts:

I remember quite a bit about this book and think it would be fun to give it a second reading. The second book in Harris' trilogy (The Girl with No Shadow) is equally entertaining, but somehow I missed Peaches for Father Francis. It might also be time to watch the movie version of Chocolat again, which includes Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp and Judi Dench. 

18 comments:

  1. I think I read this book but I have no memory of it. I am not a fan of chocolate. I don't know how that happened. I remember liking it as a kid but when I got older it just didn't appeal to me. Perhaps my lack of love for the food prevented me from remembering anything about this book. I do remember the movie though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I'm not a huge fan of milk chocolate, but I love dark chocolate, especially paired with a nice glass of red wine.

      Delete
  2. I recall loving the book and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I think it might be fun to watch the movie again. It seems like it's one of those films that's timeless.

      Delete
  3. I've enjoyed this series. It is rare that I really like magical realism, but I enjoyed this trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I'm looking forward to reading the third book in the series. I wasn't aware there was more to this story!

      Delete
  4. This is a book I'd like to reread. I am always intrigued with stories of folks like Vianne who go their own ways in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I admired Vianne, too. Strong and independent!

      Delete
  5. I remember enjoying this years ago, but never knew it was part of a trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, the second book is really good! I might reread #1 and #2 before trying the third.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the book but I did see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, the movie was entertaining, but the book is also worthwhile.

      Delete
  7. I loved this book and the film. I thought it had a wonderful opening line too. I never did continue with the other books in the series but thinking I should re-read Chocolat. I have read a couple of her other books and have really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I no longer have a copy of the book, but was able to track down that opening line. "We came on the wind of the carnival." Just rereading that sentence makes me want to read this book again. That sentence also reminds me a little bit of the tone of The Night Circus, another book I want to reread.

      Delete
  8. Time for a re-read, so I'm adding this to my summer reading list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, this is a perfect summer read! If I still had my copy, I'd add it to my stack for our upcoming road trip.

      Delete
  9. As someone who enjoys chocolate, this one sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, grab some chocolate and curl up with this book. You won't be sorry!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!