August 13, 2021

Looking Back - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



2000 Scholastic
Read in July 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Ever since Harry Potter had come home for the summer, the Dursleys had been so mean and hideous that all Harry wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he’s packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange impish creature who says that if Harry returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry’s second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor and a spirit who haunts the girls’ bathroom. But then the real trouble begins – someone is turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects… Harry Potter himself!

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Very entertaining. I enjoyed it just as much as The Sorcerer's Stone. I don't know if I'd go so far to say it was great, but I bought all four in hard cover and hope Rod will read them, too.

My Current Thoughts:

A very enjoyable installment to the series. I read it a second time in 2007 (reviewed here).

12 comments:

  1. The audio versions of all of these were so good with Jim Dale's narration. Someday(if I live long enough)maybe I will listen once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Diane. I listened to a couple on audio and loved hearing Jim Dale's narration.

      Delete
  2. I've read the whole series twice (once for me and once with my daughter when she was younger), but we've watched the movies about once a year marathon style. This one is one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I've watched the whole series, too. I prefer the books, but the movies were also entertaining.

      Delete
  3. It is hard to believe these books have been around for so long! Over 20 years since I read the first one! I should start at the beginning and read through them all...someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing that they've been around for so long, Jenclair?! If I ever reread them, I'll go with the illustrated editions. They're beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I am just beginning the HP series with an illustrated version! I believe I read only the first in the series all those years ago, and saw maybe one movie version. As with all "magical" books, I seem to always prefer the home scenes. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I love those illustrated editions.

      Delete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire Harry Potter series...and would read it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series, isn't it Laurel?

      Delete
  6. I haven't read a single Harry Potter book. I've watched the movies which I thought were a lot of fun but I think when the books came out was probably when I would have said no to any YA. I still don't read a lot of YA but definitely more open to these books now. One day maybe I'll read one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, Iliana, I recommend getting the larger illustrated editions. They're quite something!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!