September 16, 2021

A Finer End

 


Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #7
Mystery
2002 Bantam (first published in 2001)
Finished on September 9, 2021
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his partner Sergeant Gemma James return in another spellbinding novel of mysteries--one contemporary, one ancient--an investigation that will challenge them personally and professionally as no case ever has. 

When Duncan Kincaid's cousin Jack calls from Glastonbury to ask for his help on a rather unusual matter, Duncan welcomes the chance to spend a relaxing weekend outside of London with Gemma--but relaxation isn't on the agenda. Glastonbury is revered as the site of an ancient abbey, the mythical burial place of King Arthur and Guinevere, and a source of a strong druid power. Jack has no more than a passing interest in its history--until he comes across an extraordinary chronicle almost a thousand years old. The record reveals something terrible and bloody shattered the abbey's peace long ago--knowledge that will spark violence that reaches into the present. Soon it is up to Duncan and Gemma to find the truth the local police cannot see. But no one envisions the peril that lies ahead--or that there is more at stake than they ever dreamed possible.

This is my least favorite in the Kincaid/James series. The story starts off slowly with the introduction of numerous characters and Duncan and Gemma don't make much of an appearance until well into the mystery. Even then, it takes well over a hundred pages before they have a murder to solve. I had a difficult time suspending disbelief with the druid storyline and felt the paranormal aspects rather absurd and unrealistic. Overall, A Finer End was a disappointing installment in this series.

10 comments:

  1. I like the setting of setting and the procedures of Scotland Yard particularly. I've missed out on Netgalley but will be making a note of this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a pretty good series, so far, Mystica. I've enjoyed some more than others, but that's how it usually goes for me with series. Hope you get a chance to read some of them!

      Delete
  2. Guess this one would not be a good place tp start with this author I always meant to try. Too bad...do you need to read series in order. With Louise Penny I skipped around and still only read about half so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I would definitely read this series in order, but then I'm a stickler for order. :)

      Delete
  3. I've actually read this one at least twice, but I'm having trouble recalling much about it. Yes, I think that series books have ones that 'speak' to us and ones that don't. I think in those cases, I'm happy to catch up with characters and find out what's been 'going on'. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I agree that not all books in a series speak to us, but this one felt like Duncan and Gemma were only there as a backdrop to the rest of the story. However, I'm looking forward to reading And Justice There Is None later next week. I have such a huge stack of Crombie's books waiting to be read! :)

      Delete
  4. I can't remember if I read this one but when it comes to mysteries, I need to have a dead body sooner rather than later! haha... And, I have such a pet peeve when the main characters in a series sometimes take a backdrop to other characters. A major reason why I follow a series is for the main characters so to relegate them to the back is disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm reading another mystery and it took quite a while before there was a dead body, but the main characters were already busy pulling me into the story, so I didn't mind. I'm hoping the next Kincaid/James mystery brings more of their lives to center stage.

      Delete
  5. As happens so often with us, I felt very differently! haha! My post is here:
    https://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2011/04/finer-end-by-deborah-crombie.html
    TEN years ago. How is that even possible.
    I do like that perhaps supernatural stuff, and I've read about it and seen TV shows with it often enough that I think it really happens over there particularly because it is all so ancient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I believe in some supernatural stuff to a certain extent, but this seemed implausible to me. Off to read your review on this one. Crazy that it's been 10 years, isn't it?!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!