September 10, 2021

Looking Back - The Great Gatsby

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Fiction - Classic
1995 Scribner (first published in 1925)
Read in September 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Jay Gatsby is the man who has everything. But one thing will always be out of his reach. Everybody who is anybody is seen at his glittering parties. Day and night his Long Island mansion buzzes with bright young things drinking, dancing, and debating his mysterious character. For Gatsby---young, handsome, and fabulously rich---always seems alone in the crowd, watching and waiting, though no one knows what for. Beneath the shimmering surface of his life he is hiding a secret: a silent longing that can never be fulfilled. And soon this destructive obsession will force his world to unravel.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

I read this in high school, but decided to read it again. (My daughter is reading it in her American Lit. class.) I can't say that I loved it, but it held my interest. Now I want to rent the video.

My Current Thoughts:

I always have great intentions to read more of the classics, but the majority of those that I have read as an adult have been somewhat disappointing. I know that The Great Gatsby is a favorite with many of my blogging friends, but I wasn't really impressed and don't see the appeal.

8 comments:

  1. I read this book in high school and have never been tempted to revisit the story. I find that's the case with a lot of the books that I read in high school - for English classes anyway. Now, books I picked for myself to read - yep, lots of re-visiting. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, there aren't too many books from high school that I'd like to read again. The only one that comes to mind is The Grapes of Wrath, which I loved. However, I loved Dandelion Wine, but when I tried to read it a second time, I couldn't get into it at all!

      Delete
  2. I was fascinated with the characters in this story, especially with Gatsby's obsession with Daisy. I've read this book several times, and I have more to love every time I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I know there are many readers who love this book dearly. I tried!

      Delete
  3. I did like this one a lot but it's not a favorite classic. Did you ever watch the Leo DiCaprio film version? I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I think I watched that film version, but I'm not positive. Guess I didn't care for it or the book very much.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on this one. I am not generally a classics lover and thought this one was ok.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!